Massive security flaw found in Intel Processors
Published: 05:19 PM, 3 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
There is a huge screw-up in all Intel processor that is produced in the last decade. the processors have a major security hole that could allow normal user programs from database applications to Java Script in web browsers to anticipate some extent layout that is protected by kernel memory areas.
Actually, modern Intel processors have a design flaw that could allow malicious programs to read protected areas of a device’s kernel memory. This flaw could potentially expose protected information like passwords. Because the error is baked into the Intel x86-64 hardware, it needs an OS level overwrite to patch on every major operating system, including Windows, Linux, and macOS.
The exact details of the design flaw and to what extent users are susceptible that are being kept under wraps for now. As for the Register, though since developers appear to be rushing towards patching systems in coming weeks is likely to be very bad.
After all the fix involves severing kernel memory from user processes, patched OSes could potentially see a massive performance hit of five to 30 percent slowdown, depending on the task and processor model.
Five to 30 percent is a jaw-dropping number, but because of all the secrecy right now it’s difficult to tell how noticeable the impact will be for consumer use. For the average user, it is possible that the impact will be negligible. It is also possible that a better implementation of the solution in furtue patches could reduce the performance hit.
One problem with exploits is that even if this one is buried so deep it took ten years to find it, there’s no putting the cat back in the bag post discovery. At least, the tiny portion of the market running AMD processors has some grounds to feel gratified about themselves.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves