Market price bring smile to potato farmers
Published: 09:05 PM, 18 March 2019 Updated: 12:49 PM, 8 April 2019
Both yield and market price have made the potato growers happy in the region including its vast Barind tract during the current harvesting season.
Md Alauddin, 45, a farmer of Borgachhi Nawdapara village under Paba upazila, said he had brought four bighas of land under potato cultivation. He got expected yield due to suitable climatic condition and less-disease infestation has also reduced his production cost, he added in smiling face.
Alauddin also said the newly harvested potato is being sold at Taka 10 to 12 per kilogram in wholesale market while the price is Taka 12 to 14 in retail market at present which is comparatively higher than that of the previous year.
While visiting some of the potato-growing areas, this reporter found the farmers are now very much busy in harvesting and packaging of the cash crop along with its transportation to the local markets and cold storages. Thus, the activities generate seasonal employment for many people.
Currently, the newly harvested potato has appeared in the local markets in plenty with more or less better prices benefiting the growers in the region, markets sources said.
“I am getting profit after cultivating potato on five bighas of land. The potato farming has made my family happy,” said Abdul Maleque, a farmer of Baosha village under Bagha Upazila in Rajshahi district.
He mentioned that both yield and market price is almost satisfactory.
Babul Dewan, a farmer of a Char village under the same upazila, said many farmers are seen cultivating potato in char areas of Padma River as they got the taste of profit of the cast crop farming.
Golam Rasul, a farmer of Darusha village under Paba upazila, said both acreage and yield were boosted up in the wake of a favorable climatic condition and availability of standard seeds in the region.
This season, he along with his sons cultivated potato on around 150 bighas of land. He said, “We are very much optimistic about our outcomes as the weather was absolutely supportive”.
Rasul further said there is a need of enhancing the number of cold storages for betterment of the potato growers. Potato farming has now been expanded to the dried land in the vast Barind tract with massive promotion of commercial farming as a result of irrigation facilities promoted by the Barind Multipurpose Development Authorities (BMDA).
Shamsul Alam, deputy director of Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), said many of the growers are harvesting 23.68 tons per hectare in average, up by one to 1.5 tons than the previous year.
He added that the farmers have already harvested 70 percent potato. In comparison to the previous year, the climatic condition remains suitable for the crop and the present market price is also apposite for the farmers.
Meanwhile, farmers brought 1,81,566 hectares of land under potato cultivation in all eight districts under Rajshahi division creating scopes of producing 2,23,291 tons this season, said SM Mostafizur Rahman, additional director of DAE.
He said the officials, experts and other organizations concerned have been providing necessary suggestions to the farmers to face the cold situation so that the growing potato fields are not affected by late blight disease.
Agriculturist Rahman said the DAE, Bangladesh Agriculture Development Corporation, Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute, other agri-related departments and commercial banks are assisting the farmers to make the extensive potato farming program a success.
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- PM returns home today
- Tajikistan faces Mongolia this evening
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- 1,650 metres of Padma Bridge now visible
- Murder accused Jabed killed in Ctg gunfight
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Strong earthquake hits central Philippines, killing 5
- Sri Lanka blames Islamists for Easter attacks
- Bangladesh beat UAE by 2-0
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- Gorillas pose for selfie with DR Congo anti-poaching unit
- PM proposes formation of new regional economic forum
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Team Bangladesh on ICC’s fb cover photo