Market price bring smile to potato farmers
Published: 09:05 PM, 18 March 2019 Updated: 12:49 PM, 8 April 2019
Both yield and market price have made the potato growers happy in the region including its vast Barind tract during the current harvesting season.
Md Alauddin, 45, a farmer of Borgachhi Nawdapara village under Paba upazila, said he had brought four bighas of land under potato cultivation. He got expected yield due to suitable climatic condition and less-disease infestation has also reduced his production cost, he added in smiling face.
Alauddin also said the newly harvested potato is being sold at Taka 10 to 12 per kilogram in wholesale market while the price is Taka 12 to 14 in retail market at present which is comparatively higher than that of the previous year.
While visiting some of the potato-growing areas, this reporter found the farmers are now very much busy in harvesting and packaging of the cash crop along with its transportation to the local markets and cold storages. Thus, the activities generate seasonal employment for many people.
Currently, the newly harvested potato has appeared in the local markets in plenty with more or less better prices benefiting the growers in the region, markets sources said.
“I am getting profit after cultivating potato on five bighas of land. The potato farming has made my family happy,” said Abdul Maleque, a farmer of Baosha village under Bagha Upazila in Rajshahi district.
He mentioned that both yield and market price is almost satisfactory.
Babul Dewan, a farmer of a Char village under the same upazila, said many farmers are seen cultivating potato in char areas of Padma River as they got the taste of profit of the cast crop farming.
Golam Rasul, a farmer of Darusha village under Paba upazila, said both acreage and yield were boosted up in the wake of a favorable climatic condition and availability of standard seeds in the region.
This season, he along with his sons cultivated potato on around 150 bighas of land. He said, “We are very much optimistic about our outcomes as the weather was absolutely supportive”.
Rasul further said there is a need of enhancing the number of cold storages for betterment of the potato growers. Potato farming has now been expanded to the dried land in the vast Barind tract with massive promotion of commercial farming as a result of irrigation facilities promoted by the Barind Multipurpose Development Authorities (BMDA).
Shamsul Alam, deputy director of Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), said many of the growers are harvesting 23.68 tons per hectare in average, up by one to 1.5 tons than the previous year.
He added that the farmers have already harvested 70 percent potato. In comparison to the previous year, the climatic condition remains suitable for the crop and the present market price is also apposite for the farmers.
Meanwhile, farmers brought 1,81,566 hectares of land under potato cultivation in all eight districts under Rajshahi division creating scopes of producing 2,23,291 tons this season, said SM Mostafizur Rahman, additional director of DAE.
He said the officials, experts and other organizations concerned have been providing necessary suggestions to the farmers to face the cold situation so that the growing potato fields are not affected by late blight disease.
Agriculturist Rahman said the DAE, Bangladesh Agriculture Development Corporation, Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute, other agri-related departments and commercial banks are assisting the farmers to make the extensive potato farming program a success.
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Traffic sergeant’s father files writ for compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !