Mango that’s length 1 foot, weight 5 kg
Published: 01:24 PM, 22 May 2019 Updated: 01:29 PM, 22 May 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Noor Jahan, a rare variety of mango, is famous for its extraordinary weight and size. One mango weighs between two-and-half kg to five kg and the tree of this mango species is only 10 to 12 feet high.
The mangoes originated in Afghanistan that found in Alirajpur district of India's Madhya Pradesh.
Hundreds of years ago, the Katthiwara royal family had grown this variety of mango on its private land. Two years ago, only four fruit-bearing trees were located by the government on the private land belonging to the royal family's descendant Shivraj Singh. However, several farmers had tried to develop this rare variety through grafting technology.
Noor Jahan is not only popular in India but is in demand abroad as well for its taste and smell. Each mango fetches around Rs 300 to Rs 500. However, the price of each kg of the mango is reached at around Tk 600 when demand rises.
A Noor Jahan mango weighed up to five kg around a decade ago. The weight fell to around three kg five years ago. Experts believe that it would be difficult to see a Noor Jahan mango weighing over two kg this year.
"We have been seeing scanty rainfall in last 10 years. This had led to a rise of around three degree Celsius in temperature adversely affecting the growth of the mango," India’s agriculture research centre said.
The research centre also said that reduced moisture level has led to the shrinking of the fruit. The mango used to be as big as papaya but it might not be the case this year.
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- BNP hatching conspiracy to create anarchy: Nasim
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
- Laser technique could unlock use of tough material
- Youths to provide jobs instead of looking for employment: Palak
- Evolution of Puppy Dog eyes
- ‘Sinking’ Mughal-era mosque attracts visitors!
- President visits Imam Bukhari (R) mazar
- Atiqul wants to work for children
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- `Please don`t use bad words for players`: Amir to fans
- No charge for client on ‘bKash- Rocket’ balance check
- Fine, if ads on city’s wall, trees!
- Youth ‘kills mother, rapes daughter’
- Mash reluctant to talk about retirement
- Morgan breaks record with six-hitting, England post 397
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Betna River can be crossed walking
- HC orders ‘stern action’ against chemical use in fruits
- Kalyanpur petrol pump fire doused
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- ECNEC approves 11 projects involving Tk 8,052cr
- HM explains posting of Addl SP to Thana as OC
- Massive fire breaks out at Kalyanpur petrol pump
- Trump wants to deport millions US residents
- Give your helping hand for meritorious student`s treatment
- Gold, silver price abated
- GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- JS budget session begins today
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20