Mango that’s length 1 foot, weight 5 kg
Published: 01:24 PM, 22 May 2019 Updated: 01:29 PM, 22 May 2019
Noor Jahan, a rare variety of mango, is famous for its extraordinary weight and size. One mango weighs between two-and-half kg to five kg and the tree of this mango species is only 10 to 12 feet high.
The mangoes originated in Afghanistan that found in Alirajpur district of India's Madhya Pradesh.
Hundreds of years ago, the Katthiwara royal family had grown this variety of mango on its private land. Two years ago, only four fruit-bearing trees were located by the government on the private land belonging to the royal family's descendant Shivraj Singh. However, several farmers had tried to develop this rare variety through grafting technology.
Noor Jahan is not only popular in India but is in demand abroad as well for its taste and smell. Each mango fetches around Rs 300 to Rs 500. However, the price of each kg of the mango is reached at around Tk 600 when demand rises.
A Noor Jahan mango weighed up to five kg around a decade ago. The weight fell to around three kg five years ago. Experts believe that it would be difficult to see a Noor Jahan mango weighing over two kg this year.
"We have been seeing scanty rainfall in last 10 years. This had led to a rise of around three degree Celsius in temperature adversely affecting the growth of the mango," India’s agriculture research centre said.
The research centre also said that reduced moisture level has led to the shrinking of the fruit. The mango used to be as big as papaya but it might not be the case this year.
- Samrat put on 10-day remand
- K-pop star Sulli found dead
- US imposes sanctions on Turkey over Syria attack
- Weather may remain mainly dry
- Robber ringleader killed in Habiganj gunfight
- 5 Gaibandha Razakars get death penalty
- Army chief goes to Qatar on official visit
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- 13 police killed in cartel ambush in Mexico
- FIFA WC Qualifiers: Bangladesh face India today
- 4 including ‘Aminur Bahini’ chief killed in gunfight
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars today
- Neymar out for four weeks say PSG
- Syrian army heads north after Kurdish deal
- Alive baby girl found inside grave!
- Boundary count scrapped as tie-breaker in ICC events
- Zimbabwe, Nepal reinstated as Members of ICC
- Use smartphone without harming your eyes
- Bangladesh security team to visit Pakistan this week
- Drink water to get lifetime beauty
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Bangladesh Women’s A concedes T20 series to India
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- French politicians asking to cancel France-Turkey match over salute
- Feeling responsible for the country: Torsa
- Protests outside Salman Khan’s house
- Facebook taking money to promote lies!
- Robi offers 10 pc special discount
- Rule to recommend 74 BCS appointed teachers as Gazetted Officer
- All News »
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Abrar murder: BUET students place 8-point demand
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Abrar murder: 9 BCL men held, case filed against 19
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Abrar’s roommate Mizan held
- Abrar laid to rest
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Execrable ‘Hope Diamond’
- Abrar Murder: Amit Shaha of room-2011 held
- The king who rose from the dead
- Abrar murder: 10 accused remanded for five days
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- MBBS admission test today
- Buet students place fresh 10-point demand
- A tale of Titanic survivor Elsie Bowerman
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- BUET VC at campus in students protest
- China`s first polar observation satellite supports polar research
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- Uighur abuse: US blacklists 28 China organisations
- Swedish King removes grandchildren from royal house
- The lake that turns life to stone!
- S.Africa court rules Zuma must face corruption trial
- Bangladesh face Qatar in FIFA WC Qualifying
- Abrar murder case hands over to DB