Mahathir Mohamad resigns
Published: 01:09 PM, 24 February 2020
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammad has announced his resignation on Monday paving way for the formation of new government and submitted his resignation to the king of the country at 1:00 pm local time.
The two sources directly related to the matter confirmed his resignation to the British media Reuters and said with his resignation, the formation for a new government has paved.
Mahathir’s party plans to form a new government, according to a report released on Sunday night and also reported that the name of Anwar Ibrahim, the anointed heir, would be removed in his place.
Earlier it was reported that there was talk of a new government under the leadership of the opposition UMNO and Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) could be formed soon as the fears of a breakdown in the Pakatan Harapan were strong.
Later, according to a report in the Straits Times, the top leaders of the ruling Pakatan Harapan alliance met on Sunday.
which adds a new dimension to the rumor of the formation of a new government.
Mahathir Mohammed was sworn in as the Malaysian Prime Minister on May 10 of that year after winning the 2018 elections as the chief of the Pakatan Harapan alliance. He retired from power after serving as the country’s prime minister for almost 22 years, being the leader of the Barisan Nasional Party.
Earlier at a press conference on Saturday night, Mahathir Mohammed hinted to step down from prime minister post and gave the chance to Anwar Ibrahim.
“The entire matter is now relying on me,” he told the press conference. When everyone, the Deputy Prime Minister and Dr. Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, wife of Anwar Ibrahim were present there
- BBC broadcasts Islamic sermons in UK as mosques remain shut
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India