Mahanayak’s death anniv today
Published: 01:57 PM, 24 July 2019
The name of ‘Uttam Kumar’ is related to the Bengali film fans. His real name is Arun Kumar Chatterjee. On this day of 1980, he left the world by weeping his fans, audience, well-wishers and his family. Today is the 39th death anniversary of the Mahanayak of the Bengali film.
Uttam Kumar was born on September 3, 1926, in Kolkata. This protagonist passed away at the age of 54 today on this day in 1980. On July 24, on the set of ‘Ogo Bodhu Sundari’, he suddenly suffered a stroke and left his last breath. After then, Bengali films became stagnant. No one could take his place even in the new generation.
Being a legend of Bengali film was not very easy. He was known as the ‘Flop Master General’. When he entered the studio, people laughed at him and comment ‘Here come the new Durgadas’ or ‘Meet the new Chabbi Biswas’. At one time, he considered to left the film industry and join as a ‘general clerk’ Kolkata Port.
But later his wife, Gouri Chatterjee told him that it would be better if he did not do a job where his heart was not in.
Mahayak started his career with the film ‘Maydor’ and started the career. But in the face of various complications, the film was not released. But the person who is the mixed acting craze that mixed with blood, he never wants to defeat or surrender.
He then got the contact at M.P Studios for three years. He starred in the film ‘Dristidan’. This film, directed by Nitin Basu, is the first time that Uttam Kumar stated to come in limelight to the audience. But his film was ‘Basu Paribar’ in which he came into prominence.
India’s one of the best directors Satyajit Ray’s ‘Nayok’ and ‘Chiriyakhana’ starring his acting career becomes more prosperous. He won the Indian National Award for his performance in ‘Chiriyakhana’. The film ‘Nayok’ was also widely appreciated.
Later, Uttam Kumar did not look behind through his career and gradually become the best actor in Bengali film. Even today, his popularity and his film did not even decrease.
His breakthrough film was ‘Agni Pariksha’ in 1954 that began the success of the all-time romantic pair of ‘Uttam Kumar-Suchitra Sen’, though they had first paired in ‘Sharey Chuattor’ in 1953. The film ran for 65 weeks and established Uttam in the industry. Through this film, the great actress Suchitra Sen became famous with the help of Uttam.
The on-screen chemistry between Uttam Kumar and Suchitra Sen has always been much adored and admired. Both of them together constituted the evergreen and popular romantic pair of Bengali Cinema till date.
This great actor was very romantic in his personal life. The love relation with Suchitra Sen and Sabitri and divorcee with actress Supriya Devi was the events that created discussion and gossip in the film industry. It is still the discussion and gossip in the film industry about the love relation between Suchitra and Uttam.
Some of Uttam’s famous films co-starring Suchitra Sen include ‘Share Chuattor’, ‘Agni Pariksha’, ‘Shilpi’, ‘Saptapadi’, ‘Pathe Holo Deri’, ‘Harano Sur’, ‘Chaowa Paowa’, ‘Bipasha’, ‘Jiban Trishna’, ‘Sagarika’, ‘Trijama’, ‘Indrani’, ‘Sabar Upare’, ‘Surjyo Toron’, ‘Rajlakshmi O Sreekanto’, ‘Ekti Raat’, ‘Grihadaha’, ‘Kamallata’, ‘Har Mana Har’, ‘Alo Amar Alo’.
There is a theatre ‘Uttam Mancha’ named after him in Kolkata. A life-size statue has been erected near Tollygunj metro station which has recently been renamed after the iconic actor by the Central Railway Ministry. Besides, Shilpi Sansad, the actor’s pet project of safeguarding the artistes especially the poor and the old, is active still.
His creation in this subcontinent, his look and amazement smile still holds us in our mind. Today we pay deep respect for him and tribute to him.
- S Korea`s young men are fighting against feminism
- Hong Kong protesters trash subway station, stage mall rally
- 19 arrested from 3 Spa centers at Gulshan-1
- Nasima Begum appointed NHRC Chairman
- Houthi rebels in Yemen say they will stop attacks on Saudi Arabia
- 5 JMB men sentenced 12 yrs jail for Khilkhet bomb attack
- 16 years friendship or something!
- U-19 cricket team leaves for NZ Monday
- Couple becomes millionaire by cheating
- Live crocodile in pond!
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Daughter demands info on Mehbooba Mufti’s arrest
- Huge Typhoon Tapah threatens Japan, South Korea
- Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football held in Gaibandha
- India opt to bat in 3rd T20
- Stem cells to repair brain
- Stay out of Gulf; Iran warns
- Alia Bhatt to play lead in Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s Gangubai!
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Casino gadgets recovered from 4 clubs in Motijheel
- Online products sellers to pay VAT: NBR
- College student killed for ransom
- ACC: Govt officials held in Dinajpur
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Rashid Khan uncertain for tri-series final
- JU `A` unit admission tests held
- How can you make your feet pretty?
- Bandit jumps into river gripping woman
- Charge sheet against Minni fabricated: Lawyer
- Foreign liquor recovered in Padma!
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Puja Cherry got married!
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing