Maddinson out of Pakistan clash over mental health issues
Published: 10:47 AM, 9 November 2019
Nic Maddinson on Saturday pulled out of Australia A’s clash against Pakistan in Perth on mental health grounds, all-but ruling him out of contention for a berth in the Test squad.
The middle-order batsman’s decision comes barely a week after Glenn Maxwell withdrew from Australia’s Twenty20 team to deal with similar issues.
Cameron Bancroft will replace Maddinson for the three-day match against Pakistan at Perth Stadium from Monday.
“Nic has made the right decision and we are all behind him,” said Australia A coach Graeme Hick.
“It is braver to speak up than to suffer in silence and I applaud Nic for having the courage to put his health first.”
His withdrawal almost certainly rules him out of the opening Test against Pakistan in Brisbane later this month, with the Australia A game widely seen as a final chance to impress selectors.
It opens the door to Travis Head or rising star Will Pucovski, who has also struggled with mental health issues in the past, to stake their case.
Maddinson’s decision followed Maxwell, one of the world’s best short format batsman, late last month opting to take a “short” break from cricket to deal with similar challenges.
Alex Kountouris, Cricket Australia’s head of sports science and medicine, said the governing body was committed to better understanding mental health and supporting those needing help.
“Mental health is a challenge faced by Australian communities and elite sporting organisations and cricket is no different,” he said.
“Like other professional sports we are working very hard to better understand the challenges faced by our players and staff so we can support them.”
- RAB detained 3 drug dealers
- Man gets death penalty for killing wife
- 30 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Mobile court fined 4 institutions in Gurudaspur
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- 1000 Kg cocaine found floating in the sea
- Pooran banned for ball tampering
- Protest continue at JU demanding VC’s removal
- Israeli strikes kills 12 in Gaza
- No pressure to win keeps Tigers motivated
- Man held with 8 gold bars in Benapole
- Better logistics can help Bangladesh boost exports: WB
- PKSF ‘Development Fair’ begins tomorrow
- ‘Abrar murder trial will be in speedy trial’
- Shamim took responsibility of child Mahima
- Selim Pradhan placed on 7-day fresh remand
- Madhubala’s biopic to be screened
- Launch trapped in Char with 500 passengers rescued
- Man held with 13,420 yaba in Chattogram
- India’s SC disqualifies 17 revel MLAs
- Night temperature likely to fall
- PM opens seven more power plants
- 48 industrialists to get CIP cards
- Bolivian senator declares herself president
- 16 killed as car ditched in Kashmir
- UD filed over B’baria train crash
- New schedule for Tigers’ Pink-Ball Test
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Woods to play upgraded Genesis Invitational
- Suicide bombing in Indonesia: 1 killed
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ heads towards Bangladesh
- Tahsan’s realize after 7yrs
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Gunmen attack Thailand security post, kills 15
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- Bulbul hits Kolkata, Kills 1
- China imposes `Gaming Curfew` for minors
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Losing voice was ‘darkest moment’ of my life: Shakira
- 9 districts that will come under signal 10
- Tigers face India in 2nd T20I today