“Macedon too small for you, one day you will conquer world”
Published: 04:32 PM, 20 July 2019 Updated: 04:32 PM, 20 July 2019
It was more than 300 years ago of Jesus birth, the world saw a great king. He conquered half of the world at the age of 30. He is none other than Alexander the Great.
Alexander the Great was born on 20/21 July 323 BC in Macedon of Ancient Greece. He is known as the ‘king of the half-world’. From Greece to India, he extended his region. His father Philip ii was the king of Macedon. In his childhood, he said his son, “Macedon is too small for you. One day you will conquer the world”. Alexandar made his father’s dream true by conquering half of the world in the age of only 30.
At the age of 13, his father sent him to the great philosopher Aristotle for learning. Mainly his lesson made Alexandar more brave and talented. He had learned by him for 3 years. The proof of his talent was seen in his childhood.
One day he was walking with his father and noticed a crowd. They found there some people trying to control a black mad horse. But everyone was failed. He asked his father for permission to bring the horse under control. His father permits him and said that if he will succeed then it will be for him. Child Alexandar became so happy and started to observe the horse. He noticed that the horse was frightened seeing its own shadow on the ground. Then he moved the head of the horse to the sun that’s why he couldn’t see his shadow. His father bought him that horse and the horse was with him until his death. Name of the horse was Bucephalus.
In the age of only 20, he was replaced in his father throne.
Alexander began to remove his potential enemies from the kingdom. He killed his cousin Amyntas. He also killed two other high classed Macedonians for accusing of his father’s assassination. He established Macedonian power within Greece. He then set out to conquer the massive Persian Empire. Against the enemies, he led his army to victories across the Persian territories of Asia Minor, Syria and Egypt without suffering a single defeat. His greatest victory was at the Battle of Gaugamela, present in northern part Iraq, in 331 BC. The young king of Macedonia, leader of the Greeks, overlord of Asia Minor and pharaoh of Egypt became 'great king' of Persia at the age of 25.
Over the next eight years, in his capacity as king, commander, politician, scholar and explorer, Alexander led his army a further 11,000 miles, founding over 70 cities and creating an empire that stretched across three continents and covered around two million square miles. The entire area from Greece in the west, north to the Danube, south into Egypt and as far to the east as the Indian Punjab, was linked together in a vast international network of trade and commerce. This was united by a common Greek language and culture, while the king himself adopted foreign customs in order to rule his millions of ethnically diverse subjects. He was one and only who brought the main three parts of the world- Persia, Egypt, and India under the same shade. Many of the cities that Alexander founded were named Alexandria, including the Egyptian city that is now home to more than 4.5 million people. The many Alexandrias were located on trade routes, which increased the flow of commodities between the East and the West.
It was May of 323 BC. Alexandar was 33 then, passed his most of the time extending his kingdom. His dream was to extend more. But, it hadn’t come true. Alexander returned to Baghdad after completing several years of military operations in the face of an army blockade. In this opportunity, he went to rest. At the same time, he started drawing tables for his next expedition. One day, he attended a banquet at the invitation of a dearest friend. Around the day he drank so much. Meanwhile, he was not feeling better. Then he went to sleep. Extreme fever attacked him. His physical condition was getting down gradually. Ten days later, on Jun 10/11, Alexandar left the world. Though it is a general statement of his death, people have different opinions on his death. Some say, he was killed by poisoning and some say, he was suffering in malaria.
At the time of his death, he called his generals and said, "I will depart from this world soon, I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail”.
He said - "My physicians alone must" carry my coffin."
- "Secondly, I desire that when my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury".
-The king felt exhausted after saying this. He took a minute's rest and continued. "My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin".
The people who had gathered there, surprised at the king's strange wishes. But no one dared bring the question to their lips. Alexander's favorite general kissed his hand and pressed them to his heart. He asked him about the reason for such wishes.
Then Alexander took a deep breath and said: "I would like the world to know of the three lessons I have just learned. Lessons to be learned from the last 3 wishes of King Alexander...I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor on this earth can really cure anybody. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.
The second wish of strewing gold, silver and other riches on the path to the graveyard is to tell people that not even a fraction of gold will come with me. I spent all my life Greed of Power, earning riches but cannot take anything with me. Let people realize that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth.
About my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty-handed into this world and empty-handed I go out of this world".
With these words, the king closed his eyes. Soon he let death conquer him and breathed his last.
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves