Living cost in Dhaka rose 8.44%
Published: 02:15 PM, 2 January 2018 Updated: 09:29 PM, 3 January 2018
Living cost in capital city Dhaka rose by 8.44 percent in 2017 due to hike in prices of rice, vegetables, house rents, electricity, gas as well as other services.
The latest spike was higher than in 2016 when cost of living rose by 6.47 percent and cost of services went up by 5.81 percent respectively.
Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB) said this at a press conference at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) on Tuesday, unveiling CAB’s annual report on cost of living in Dhaka.
The CAB prepared the report by collecting price data from 15 markets in Dhaka on 114 food items and 22 products for daily usage. It also took into account the cost of 14 services including gas, electricity and water to prepare the report.
But it has not included expenses on education, health and real transport in its estimate.
CAB President Ghulam Rahman said that food prices particularly rice soared at higher rate in 2017 than the previous year.
In 2017, cost of services including electricity, gas and water increased by 7.17 percent compared to the figures from 2016, said the report. House rents went up by 8.13 percent in 2017 compared to the previous year, it added.
- Khaleda Zia’s bail hearing today
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- Afif seeks tips from Russell to be good power-hitter
- Six dead in hours-long New York-area shootout
- Momen leaves for India tomorrow
- Minority people are living in peace: Quader
- Three motorcycles suddenly on ablaze in front of High Court
- Avijit Roy killing: Court summons Bonya Dec 30
- BRAC, NF to build 50 learning centers for Rohingya children
- Dhaka pushes for support to deal with climate change
- Suu Kyi titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Govt works to increase trade ties with Belarus: Commerce Minister
- Myanmar people calling Suu Kyi a liar
- Premier Chess: Saif SC, Bangladesh Police maintain their lead
- Eat 2 Dates every day
- Access barred to National Memorial from Dec 12 to 15
- Cumilla starts BBPL with 105-run win
- ‘All registered parties should include ‘Joy Bangla’ slogan’
- Law enforcers will offset violence: Quader
- Kamal for low-cost net connections in Asia-Pacific region
- Bangladeshi among 5 killed in Saudi road accident
- US-Bangla Airlines with `Evelly Celluloid 71`
- 2 women detained with weed
- Mushy vows to keep up his good form in BBPL
- DNCC gets waste management system in 18 wards
- UGC orders all public universities to shut evening courses
- Internet blackout in Assam after Tripura
- Keraniganj factory fire under control, 1 dies
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Suu Kyi
- 10 killed in Somalia hotel attack
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- Indian rape victim dies after being set ablaze
- Three of a family found dead in Barishal