Lionel Messi leads Barcelona to 2-1 win over PSV Eindhoven
Published: 10:39 AM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 10:39 AM, 29 November 2018
PSV Eindhoven did all it could to stifle Lionel Messi. It wasn't enough.
Messi scored one goal after a trademark dribble and set up another from a free kick as Barcelona beat PSV 2-1 Wednesday to secure top spot in Champions’ League Group B with one match left to play.
"He's a player you almost can't stop," said PSV coach Mark van Bommel. "You have to do everything you can - and we did that today - to block his shots. But sometimes it doesn't work and that has to do with the quality of the player. That's why he's the best in the world."
Barcelona was already qualified for the next round before kicking off at PSV Stadium and was uncharacteristically scrappy at times until a moment of Messi magic finally gave his team the lead in the 61st minute.
The Argentina star scored his 106th Champions League goal by dribbling through a group of PSV defenders and unleashing a powerful shot past Jeroen Zoet.
He then turned supplier for Barcelona's second, taking a free kick that Gerard Pique deflected past Zoet.
In the group's other match, substitute Christian Eriksen scored as Tottenham beat Inter Milan 1-0 at Wembley and those teams will fight for second place in the last round. Tottenham faces Barcelona in its last group match while Inter hosts PSV.
Messi has now scored 10 goals in five Champions League matches against Dutch opponents, including his hat trick against PSV in their Group B opener this season.
But Barcelona will have to raise its game if it is to win back the Champions League trophy that was won by archrival Real Madrid for the last three seasons.
PSV effectively countered Barcelona's threat for much of the first half by pressing hard and denying Messi and his team mates time to settle, forcing mistakes.
"It is our style of play that we take a lot of risks," said Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde. "There are a lot of teams now that try to put us under pressure. If we make mistakes in our midfield it is tough, but it is part of our risky style."
PSV does unlucky not to go into the break at least one goal in front after twice hitting the frame of the goal.
Gaston Pereiro hit the post after 16 minutes and Luuk de Jong saw his looping header rebound off the crossbar shortly before halftime.
De Jong grabbed a consolation goal for the home fans with an 83rd-minute header to set up a frenetic late assault, but despite pouring forward in the closing minutes PSV could not find an equalizer.
"We had problems with De Jong, he is tough to defend," Valverde said. "PSV began to believe they had a chance and play long balls, but in the end we got the result we came here for."
PSV coach Mark van Bommel - himself a Champions League winner with Barcelona in his playing days - started with his regular lineup that has won all 13 of its Dutch Eredivisie matches this season but failed to register a victory in the Champions League. The team has just one point from five matches and is guaranteed to finish bottom of the group.
Barcelona was without the injured Luis Suarez, with Ousmane Dembele taking his place. Dembele scored a goal as Barcelona beat PSV at Camp Nou in their first Group B match this season, but could not add to his tally in Eindhoven.
Valverde started Clement Lenglet in defense instead of Samuel Umtiti, who returned to play at the weekend for the first time since the end of September due to a left knee injury but felt discomfort in the knee in training Tuesday.
The missing players may have contributed to the sometimes disjointed performance.
Messi made sure Barcelona won anyway.
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Trump walks out on Democrats in fury over Russia probe
- Aspirin `safe` for brain-bleed strokes
- Why N Korea called Biden an `imbecile`
- Record groundnut output makes farmers happy
- Two electrocuted in Bagerhat
- Voting on suspended 5 upazila on June 18
- Both BPL football matches end in draw
- Formation of the moon brought water to Earth
- Indo-Bangla ties to remain same whoever elected in India: Quader
- Saudi to execute 3 prominent scholars after Ramadan
- BB enhances usance period for raw materials import
- India’s EC rejects ballot tampering allegation
- US to legalize human composting
- Double duty to deject rice import
- HC for installation of fire extinguishers in all motor vehicles
- PM instructed to probe ‘fire in paddy field’
- Mashrafe leaves Dhaka to join team in England
- Shemai maker busy before Eid in Dinajpur
- Shakib reclaims top spot in ODI all-rounder rankings
- Bengal tiger number rises in Sundarbans
- Pakistani children worst affected in HIV outbreak
- Du’a of Intent to Fast and Breaking it
- `Papaya Juice` in Iftar
- UN to honor 12 Bangladeshi peacekeepers
- HC expressed anger over Greenline’s apathy
- Six dead in Indonesia post-election unrest
- Highest power generation recorded
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader returns home this evening
- Quader to join his office today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- President reaches London
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Tk 76 lakh needed for testing Wasa water
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Today’s sports on TV
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed like mother: Quader
- Saudi Arabia to provide PR green card