Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
Published: 11:49 PM, 22 August 2019 Updated: 11:49 PM, 22 August 2019
At least nine people, including a couple, were killed in lightning strikes in Faridpur, Manikganj, Magura and Bogura districts on Thursday.
Of them, four people were killed in Faridpur district’s Saltha, Nagarkanda and Alfadanga upazilas.
Officer-in-charge of Saltha Police Station Md Delwar Hossain said a thunderbolt struck Hashi Begum, 45, wife of Idris Ali, while she was cooking at her half-open kitchen at Kagdi village in Saltha upazila in the morning.
Besides, Billal Matubbor was killed by a streak of lightning while he was working in his paddy field along with his son at Bata village in the same upazila.
In Nagarkanda uapzila, Imran Bepari was also killed in lighting while he was washing jute at Beelnalia village. Hafizur Sharif was killed while washing jute in a water body at Gopalpur of Alfadanga upazila.
Meanwhile, three people, including a couple, were killed by lightning in Sariakandi upazila under In Bogura, in the afternoon.
Amirul Islam, 40, and his wife Faima Begum Belcha, 30, of Dakatmara char, were killed as a streak of lightning struck them while they were returning home after collecting their cattle from a field around 2pm.
Five cattle were also killed by the lightning in the district.
Besides, Sumon, 32, son of Tahsin Mia of Nijbatiachar in the upazila, was injured being hit by a thunderbolt while washing jute in a water body in the afternoon.
Doctors declared him dead when he was taken to a hospital, said officer-in-charge of Sariakandi Police Station.
Meanwhile, schoolgirl Tania Khatun, 15, of Debdanga village and Sumon, 21, of Dhap village were injured in lightning strikes.
In Manikganj, Chandra Sarkar, 55, a farmer of Mouwali village of Ghiorupazila, was killed as a thunderbolt hit him while he was taking bath in a pond.
He was declared dead when he was taken to Ghior Upazila Health Complex.
In Magura, Alik Biswas, 35, son of Arun Biswas, was killed in a lightning strike at Nalda village in Sadar Upazila around 3 pm.
Office-in-charge of Magura Police Station Sirajul Islam said a streak of lightning struck Alik when he was working in a field, leaving him dead on the spot.
Besides, 10 people were injured by a lightning strike in Sreepur upazila.
- Minni’s trip to Dhaka Saturday
- Tohura star as Bangladesh draw 2-2 with Australia
- ‘Alpha’ to represent Bangladesh in Oscar
- VC Nasir’s one-day tea bill Tk 40,000!
- Fishers’ pleasure of repay dues
- Nusrat murder accused Moni gave birth in prison
- Bangladesh take on Yemen in AFC U-16 Championship tomorrow
- Milan Fashion: J-Lo struts updated jungle dress at Versace
- Dananjaya suspended for illegal action
- Simeone - `I`m not interested` in Griezmann reports
- Housewife dies of dengue in Barishal
- £6bn UK aid for Bangladesh, other climate victim countries
- KCC to get modern slaughterhouse soon
- Pea-flour to prevent dandruff-hair fall
- Huge asteroid narrowly missed Earth; NASA reveals
- Two cases filed against Firoz
- Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Millions march against climate change
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?