Launch social revolution against drug abuse: President
Published: 11:31 PM, 27 January 2020
President M Abdul Hamid today addressed the first convocation of Cumilla University (CoU)- PID
Putting emphasis on lunching a silent-social revolution against the drug abuse, President M Abdul Hamid today asked the students to launch a countrywide motivational campaign against abusive use of narcotics as he addressed the first convocation of Cumilla University (CoU).
“Students will have to launch a silent social revolution against drug abuse . . . Do motivational campaign against the narcotics to bring change to the people, otherwise the country will get destroyed,” he said.
Mentioning the name of over a dozen of contraband drug items, including heroin and yaba tablets, the President said Cumilla is one of the trafficking routes of contraband drugs in the country, adding, “You must remain alert and build strong resistance against those illegal narcotics.”
The head of the state categorically called upon the graduates to work jointly so none can use those contraband drugs in society.
Speaking at the convocation ceremony, Abdul Hamid, also the chancellor of the university, advised new graduates not to think for their own interest only, rather engage themselves for family, social and national welfare.
“Always try to uphold the truth and justice as a graduate … Never tarnish the image of the dignity of your degree, personal respect and morality,” he added.
Noting that the university is a sacred place for study and earning knowledge for the students, the President said, “It’s not the place of raging or earning money . . . Don’t covet for greediness that destroys life and pushes parents and family members into trouble.”
President Hamid categorically advised the learners to do welfare for people and not to get frustrated while facing any obstacles.
Congratulating the new graduates, Abdul Hamid advised them to remember the contributions of their parents, teachers, society, country and people to making them, successful graduates.
Recalling the historic speech of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Ramgati here “The struggle has yet to end . . . The struggle of this time is to build a Sonar Bangla”, President Hamid hoped that the graduates would engage themselves in nation building upholding the ideology of Bangabandhu, the greatest Bengali of thousand years.
He urged the teachers to uphold their dignity in their profession through their works terming them (teachers) as a symbol of ideology, principles and also the great architect of building a developed nation.
The President also called upon the graduates and university family members to put positive contribution to turn Bangladesh into a developed and progress one by 2041.
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, MP, delivered his speech as the convocation speaker on the occasion where as many as 2,888 students, including 3,561 graduates, were conferred with degrees.
Besides, a total of 14 gold medals and 52 dean awards were given to the students for their outstanding academic performance and contributions.
Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury, MP, University Grants Commission (UGC) Chairman Prof Dr Kazi Shahidullah and CoU Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr Emran Kabir Chowdhury attended the convocation, among others.
National leaders, lawmakers, secretaries concerned to the President, vice-chancellors of different University and senior civil and military officials, among others, were present.
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- 2 killed in Pabna road crash
- Radical changes await in rail
- Now water price also increased
- BFF polls on Apr 20
- 38 injured as passenger train derailed in Egypt
- EC rejects demand for CCC polls delay
- Hemnagar Rail Station: A place of drug den
- Mushfiqur leaps 5-place in ICC Test rankings
- Media will go further: Khalid
- Delhi riots: Death toll climbs to 42, red alert issued
- Child killed in Habiganj road crash
- Mushfiqur stick on his decision over Pakistan tour
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 17 in Italy
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Paralyzed patient burned to ashes at ‘therapy room’
- Apply through SMS cancelled, HSC admission only online
- Drug export exceeds billion dollars soon
- Pilot killed in Spain plane crash
- Delhir Akhra in Kishoreganj
- Pedestrian run over by microbus in Kashiani
- 2 BU students fired over clashes of domination
- Iran’s former envoy to Vatican dies of coronavirus
- 3 City College students held
- ‘Awami League believes in development, not in words’
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed