Last tributes paid to poet Belal Chowdhury
Published: 06:07 PM, 25 April 2018
Tributes paid to poet Belal Chowdhury at Central Shaheed Minar; Pic: UNB
Last tributes paid on Wednesday to poet Belal Chowdhury at the Central Shaheed Minar by various people from all walks of life.
People from all walks of life, including ministers, political leaders, writers, poets and cultural activists, paid their last tributes to the poet at12:15 pm as his body was taken to Central Shaheed Minar around 11:00 am.
The dead body of the Ekushey Padak winning poet is now on way to his village home Sarishadi village in Feni. He will be buried beside his parent’s graves there, said family members.
Belal Chowdhury breathed his last at 12:30 pm at Anwar Khan Modern Hospital in Dhanmondi on Tuesday.
Awami League general secretary and road transport and labour minister Obaidul Quader came to pay tribute to poet Belal Chowdhury, said Belal Chowdhury was a Banyan Tree. He wrote about the Bengal soil-man and the sky. In his writings, these figures emerged. It was also popular in Kolkata. The country has irreparable damage to his death.
Culture Minister Asaduzzaman Noor paid tribute to the poet on behalf of the flowers. He said that poet Belal Chowdhury was a bright star, progressive people. He was known to us as Belal brother. Vacuum is made when any man leaves. Belal brother`s vacancy will not be fulfilled.
Different organizations including Bangla Academy, Bangladesh National Museum, Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy and some other cultural, social and political organizations paid their respects to the poet.
The second namaz-e-janaza of the poet was held at Dhaka University Central Mosque after the Johr Prayers while the first namaz-e-janaza was held at Paltan Mosque after Maghrib prayers on Tuesday.
Chowdhury served Bharat Bichitra as its editor, published from Indian embassy in Dhaka. He was also an editor of Shaptahik Sandwip and Krittibas, a Bengali poetry magazine edited by Sunil Gangopadhyay.
Belal Chowdhury also has the reputation as journalist, essayist and translator. He was awarded Ekushey Padak in 2014 for his literary contribution. He also received Bangla Academy Literary Award.
Belal Chowdhury was born on November 12, 1938, in Sarshadi village of Feni in the then Bengal Presidency under the British rule.
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- Sweeper dies with corona symptoms in Rangpur
- 39 of the 54 new coronavirus patients in Dhaka
- Killer Majed`s death warrant issued
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Hajj registration process extended till Apr 16
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus