Last opportunity to take oath
Published: 04:55 PM, 29 April 2019
The five elected members of BNP, who came victorious in the 11th parliamentary elections, will have to take the oath on Monday. Otherwise, their seat will vacate.
Five elected in elections who still not take oath- BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir (Bogura-6), Aminul Islam (Chapainawabganj-2), Md. Harunur Rashid (Chapainawabganj-3), Ukil Abdus Sattar (Brahmanbaria-2) and Md. Mosharraf Hossain (Bogura-4).
Earlier on Thursday, Zahidur Rahman took oath. There is a buzz that other leaders exclude party’s secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir could join the parliament.
According to the constitution, the elected MPs must be sworn in the next 90 days of the first meeting of the parliament. Otherwise, their seat will be declared vacant by canceling the membership. The first meeting of the 11th Parliament was held on January 30. This means the oath must be taken by April 29.
Elected from the BNP are eager to swear. But after Zahidur Rahman took oath, others were confused due to the decision of the party's top leadership.
Harunur Rashid elected from Chapainawabganj-3 constituency with ‘Sheaf of Paddy’ symbol wants to take oath in the 11th Parliament, but he said that he will be waiting for the party's decision.
“We are waiting for the party's decision. We have agreed to the team. Hopefully, we'll get good news. I cannot comment further. Today is the last day. Yes, no decision will come,” he said on Monday afternoon adding, “The parliament session is going on. So we can take oath any time.”
There are discussions that the elected Aminul Islam and Harunur Rashid can take oath on Monday. Of these, Harunur Rashid is the BNP's central joint secretary general.
There is a lot of anxiety about what is the role of old leader Ukil Abdus Sattar. On Thursday, he said that he would pray for a proper decision.
It is to be noted that on December 30, the BNP won only six seats in the 11th parliamentary elections. And Ganoforum’s two seats, the Oikyafront won a total number of eight seats. Among them, Ganoforum’s two and BNP's one have been sworn in as an MP.
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5