Landslide victory for Awami League
Published: 06:33 AM, 31 December 2018 Updated: 12:21 PM, 31 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Awami League-led Grand Alliance clinched a landslide victory with over two-thirds majority in the 11th general elections amid festivity.
Of the Grand Alliance, the ruling Awami League alone got 259 seats while Jatiya Party 20 in the elections.
The massive victory gave the Grand Alliance yet another chance to form the government for the third consecutive terms. The win also paved the way for Awami League President Sheikh Hasina to lead the government as Prime Minister for the fourth times and third times in a row.
The election commission so far announced unofficially the results of 298 seats of the 300-seat parliament for this general election that witnessed the participation of all major political parties.
Out of the 299 seats where elections were held, the grand alliance won in 288 constituencies, including 259 seats bagged by Awami League. Dr Kamal Hossain-led Jatiya Oikyafront won in 7 constituencies.
Voting in Gaibandha-3 constituency was postponed due to the death of a candidate earlier and the results of Brahmanbaria-2 seat will be announced after re-election in its three centres.
HM Ershad-led Jatiya Party secured 20 seats with “plough” symbol and independent candidates got three seats.
The Awami League-led grand alliance has swept the polls as the Election Commission officials said a large number of voters exercised their franchise to elect the country’s 11th parliament.
Foreign observers and independent polls monitor groups said the election was held in a free, fair and peaceful manner, maintaining the world standard.
However, after the end of the polls time, Jatiya Oikyafront top leader Dr Kamal Hossain demanded of the Election Commission to give fresh election alleging that massive vote rigging took place in different constituencies.
Awami League president Sheikh Hasina, BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir and Jatiya Party president HM Ershad, a key ally of Awami League- led grand alliance, won the polls from their respective constituencies.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today