LP gas in autorickshaw!
Published: 04:51 PM, 25 February 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
LP gas cylinders are being used instead of CNG (converted natural gas) in auto-rickshaw at Nikli of Kishoreganj. If this cylinder blast, then major accidents can happen at any time. And it caused anxiety among thousands of passengers.
Meanwhile, due to restrictions of autorickshaw movement on the highway, the auto-rickshaw owners and drivers have to face extortion when taking gas at the only CNG station at Kishoreganj's Bhairab Upazila.
While visiting different autorickshaw stands of the Upazila, it is seen that LP gas cylinders are being used instead of CNG in auto-rickshaws in the Upazila including Nikli-Kishoreganj, Nikli-Bhairab, Katiadi-Nikli, Bajitpur-Nikli. These cylinders are being used freely under the driver’s seat and behind the passenger’s seat.
Department Of Explosives of Bangladesh has permission to use CNG cylinders in this transport but LP gas cylinders are not allowed to be used. It is usually used for home cooking.
The types of auto rickshaw’s cylinders are to be purchased at Tk 10,000 to 15,000. These cylinders are safe while one-fourth of the gas may have air but it can refill. LP gas cylinders can be bought at Tk 1200 with no air. But these cylinders are not safe at all. As the availability of LP gas, its usage is increased day by day. But the security risk of passengers is also increased.
The only CNG refilling station in Bhairab is situated 58 kilometers away from Nikli Upazila Sadar. As a result, the auto owners and drivers have to spend a long time in collecting gas. So, autorickshaw owners and drivers are using LP cylinder gas to earn extra profit. That’s why LPG prices are increasing every day.
Nikli upazila SUJAN president Md Jasim Uddin said, “Due to the use of cylinders gas in CNG, the passengers are travelling with death risk. These cylinders blast at any time and can cause major accidents like Dhaka. The matter needs to be looked by administrative.”
Nikli Upazila CNG Auto Workshop Union President Murshid Miah said, “The police is taking the advantage of banning auto rickshaw movement on the highway. When going to the station to buy gas, police members intervened on the way.”
He also said, “On the other hand, we have no other way and have to give extortion. We have to face this problem every day. So, we are using LP gas though we know its risk. Nearly 2000 auto rickshaw drivers are using LP gas in the nearby Upazila, including the Nikli Upazila.”
Nikli’s UNO Muchammat Shahina Akhter said, “I do not know the issue. We will take the necessary steps to investigate.”
- Lemon cultivation gaining popularity in Panchagarh
- AL secretariat meeting tomorrow
- Black holes made of dark energy?
- PM hints at buying two more Boeing aircraft
- PM inaugurates Biman’s ‘Rajhangsa’
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- People’s reliance now on JP: GM Quader
- Plaintiff tries to suicide in court over husband’s bail
- Bangabandhu, Bangamata football tournament kicks-off!
- TCB to provide onion at Tk 45
- Durga Puja set-out in Jamalpur’s 210 temples
- ADB president to step down
- Rawdah of Rasulullah (SM) under Green Dome
- Puja Cherry got married!
- 27 policemen awarded in Dhaka Range Crime Conference
- Sheikh Hasina so far receives 37 int’l accolades
- Veteran coach Nazmul quits BCB
- U-23 squad announced for India tour
- Corruption in rice distribution
- Hilsa scarcity leads to paucity
- HC’s rule on CCSU election
- Smith takes 34-point lead over Kohli
- UAE introduces free visa on condition
- Woman carried away on mobility scooter in a hilarious state
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on Oct 20
- IEEE accredited Bangladesh University
- Bosila militant den raid: Probe report on Oct 17
- Over 75 tigers died in Thailand for inbreeding fact
- Blast in Afghan President’s rally kills 24 civilians
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- ‘Rajhangsha’ to be inaugurated Saturday
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Padma Bridge’s toll yet to be decided: Quader
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- Rohingya homes destroyed for government facilities
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal
- Tajia procession brought out amid tight security
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects