Kohli reveals why Karthik was picked over Pant
Published: 10:34 PM, 15 May 2019 Updated: 10:47 PM, 15 May 2019
India World Cup 2019 team was announced last month with couple of selections going on to become major talking points. One of them was Dinesh Karthik's inclusion as the second wicketkeeper ahead of young sensation Rishabh Pant. And while chief selector MSK Prasad made it amply clear it was unfortunate that Rishabh Pant missed out, the decision was taken keeping in mind Dinesh Karthik's experience. Now, India captain Virat Kohli has stressed on the same point, saying Karthik's experience and composure in crunch situations helped him pip Rishabh Pant.
MS Dhoni will be India's designated first-choice wicketkeeper in England and Wales with MSK Prasad making it clear that the 33-year-old Karthik will only play if Dhoni gets injured during the World Cup 2019.
Teams can change players until May 23 and several former players believe India will miss 21-year-old Rishabh Pant in the showpiece which gets underway on May 30.
"In pressure situations, he's shown composure," Virat Kohli told the Times of India about Karthik. "It was something that everybody on board was convinced about.
"He has the experience. If, god forbid, something happens to MS (Dhoni), Karthik can be immensely valuable behind the wickets. As a finisher, he's done well.
"So, it was the overall exposure to a tournament of this magnitude that was taken into primary consideration."
The 33-year-old Karthik, from Tamil Nadu, made both his white and red-ball debuts for the national side before MS Dhoni.
This is only the second time that he has made it to the 15-man squad for the World Cup, the first time being in 2007.
Karthik made his one-day international debut in 2004 and has played 91 matches for India in the format, compared with left-handed batsman Pant who has played just five after making his 50-over debut last October.
Karthik, who has also played 26 Tests for India, has the ability to bat anywhere in the batting order which makes him a limited-overs asset.
"We can very well imagine there's more than an opinion in place that some capable guys have missed out," India coach Ravi Shastri added. "Heart goes out to them.
"Picking 15 from an immensely talented pool is never easy. I'd say to these guys: Keep going the way you have. Be prepared, in case there's an unforeseen requirement that pops up."
India begin their bid for a third World Cup title against South Africa in Southampton on June 5.
- Coronavirus death toll tops 30,000 in Brazil
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- 349 Ansar members infected with COVID-19
- Shakib Khan’s ‘Rangbaaz’ movie producer Mozammel dies
- Keep your mouth shut: Police Chief advises Trump
- Biman cancels flights for passenger crisis
- Stolen Tk60 lakh of National Bank recovered
- ‘Ultimate repercussion’ if US hurt China’s interests
- BNP office fluxed of banner-festoon; neither activity, no activist
- Smith not to play in Aus ‘due to IPL’ if necessary
- Child among 4 another contracted COVID-19 in Nandail
- Light rain likely at many places
- Schoolgirl committed suicide for unable to see Star Jalsha serial
- Raw turmeric to boost immunity
- New Ebola outbreak in Congo amid coronavirus
- WHO will continue to cooperate with the United States
- Hearing on writ challenging bus fare hike today
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Raj Kapoor’s death anniversay today
- Lip shape helps to understand your partner behavior!
- 16 more contracted coronavirus in Feni
- Mother died to stop daughters’ quarrel in Barishal
- Coronavirus situation getting worse in Mumbai
- Child’s floating body recovered in Kushtia
- First ever virtual ECNEC meeting today
- Spain records zero deaths in last 24 hours
- George Floyd died of asphyxia
- 4 more tested COVID-19 positive at Domar
- Sylhet reports 49 fresh coronavirus cases
- COVID-19 cases in Chattogram exceed 3,000
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Offices resume from May 31
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000