Kiwis amass record total as declare 1st innings at 715/6
Published: 10:08 AM, 2 March 2019
New Zealand declared first innings at 715 for six in reply to a Bangladesh’s first innings total of 234 on the 3rd day of the 1st Test at Hamilton on Saturday.
New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson is unbeaten on 200 to lead Bangladesh by 481 on the first innings. He called a halt to the innings halfway through the middle session on the day after he brought up his double century with a boundary.
It was New Zealand’s highest ever Test total, eclipsing the 690 against Pakistan in 2014.
Tom Latham contributed 161 and Jeet Raval scored 132 while Henry Nicholls 53 for the host side. For Bangladesh, Soumya Sarkar took two for 68 and Mehedy Hasan captured two for 246.
Meanwhile, the right-handed batsman Williamson was unbeaten on 166 joining openers Tom Latham (161) and Jeet Raval (132) on three figures as the Black Caps extending their lead to 371 after adding 154 in the first session.
It is only the 13th time in the history of Test cricket and the second time by New Zealand that the first three batsmen have scored centuries in the same innings.
But for the Tigers, it is the third time they have been on the receiving end, most recently in 2017 against South Africa in Bloemfontein and before that against India in Dhaka in 2007.
For Williamson, it has been an innings of milestones as the Black Caps skipper became the first batsman to score 20 Test centuries for his country.
In the course of his 71st Test, he has also joined 6,000 runs club, becoming the fourth and fastest New Zealander to do so and with the best average of 52.79 after he resumed the third day on 93 and was content to take a back seat while Neil Wagner pushed the score along in a 60-run stand for the fourth wicket stand.
Wagner, who claimed five wickets in the first innings, finished with his Test-best 47 of which 42 runs came from boundaries six fours and three sixes. His blistering innings finally came to an end when he was caught behind to give Ebadat Hossain his first Test wicket.
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ tomorrow
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- PM returns home today
- Tajikistan faces Mongolia this evening
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- 1,650 metres of Padma Bridge now visible
- Murder accused Jabed killed in Ctg gunfight
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Strong earthquake hits central Philippines, killing 5
- Sri Lanka blames Islamists for Easter attacks
- Bangladesh beat UAE by 2-0
- `Not possible to ‘restore’ democracy with Khaleda in jail`
- Shakib stays back in India to play IPL
- Tigers start World Cup preparation with 5 cricketers
- Sufferings due to load-unloading trucks on road
- Walsh tips Fizz for `big role` in World Cup
- RAKUB recovers Taka 200 crore in Boishakhi Mela
- PM calls Brunei to business with Bangladesh
- Garment worker found dead in Shreepur
- Boro farmers face losses in hailstorm
- Sri Lanka imposes curfew again
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Team Bangladesh on ICC’s fb cover photo