Kiwis amass record total as declare 1st innings at 715/6
Published: 10:08 AM, 2 March 2019
New Zealand declared first innings at 715 for six in reply to a Bangladesh’s first innings total of 234 on the 3rd day of the 1st Test at Hamilton on Saturday.
New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson is unbeaten on 200 to lead Bangladesh by 481 on the first innings. He called a halt to the innings halfway through the middle session on the day after he brought up his double century with a boundary.
It was New Zealand’s highest ever Test total, eclipsing the 690 against Pakistan in 2014.
Tom Latham contributed 161 and Jeet Raval scored 132 while Henry Nicholls 53 for the host side. For Bangladesh, Soumya Sarkar took two for 68 and Mehedy Hasan captured two for 246.
Meanwhile, the right-handed batsman Williamson was unbeaten on 166 joining openers Tom Latham (161) and Jeet Raval (132) on three figures as the Black Caps extending their lead to 371 after adding 154 in the first session.
It is only the 13th time in the history of Test cricket and the second time by New Zealand that the first three batsmen have scored centuries in the same innings.
But for the Tigers, it is the third time they have been on the receiving end, most recently in 2017 against South Africa in Bloemfontein and before that against India in Dhaka in 2007.
For Williamson, it has been an innings of milestones as the Black Caps skipper became the first batsman to score 20 Test centuries for his country.
In the course of his 71st Test, he has also joined 6,000 runs club, becoming the fourth and fastest New Zealander to do so and with the best average of 52.79 after he resumed the third day on 93 and was content to take a back seat while Neil Wagner pushed the score along in a 60-run stand for the fourth wicket stand.
Wagner, who claimed five wickets in the first innings, finished with his Test-best 47 of which 42 runs came from boundaries six fours and three sixes. His blistering innings finally came to an end when he was caught behind to give Ebadat Hossain his first Test wicket.
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter to douse
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- Local population at risk for Rohingyas presence: TIB
- Shithi Saha hospitalized
- Banned player to play Bangabandhu BPL
- Discard ‘negative mindset’ about disabled people: PM
- Bangladesh wins by 249 runs as Maldives wrapped for 6
- Don`t ruin the court environment: Chief Justice
- Kaushik in Bangabandhu’s role
- 14 missing in deadly Ukraine fire: president
- Four cows looted, owner killed
- Militants brought three caps from prison
- 2 day-labourers electrocuted in Bhandaria
- Local AL leader hacked dead in C’nawabganj
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Malayalam actress Anjali facing death threat from live-in partner
- CUET ready to welcome President
- Magnitude quake hits China’s Xinjiang
- ‘Befitting reply to be given if creates unrest over case’
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight