Kiwis amass record total as declare 1st innings at 715/6
Published: 10:08 AM, 2 March 2019
New Zealand declared first innings at 715 for six in reply to a Bangladesh’s first innings total of 234 on the 3rd day of the 1st Test at Hamilton on Saturday.
New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson is unbeaten on 200 to lead Bangladesh by 481 on the first innings. He called a halt to the innings halfway through the middle session on the day after he brought up his double century with a boundary.
It was New Zealand’s highest ever Test total, eclipsing the 690 against Pakistan in 2014.
Tom Latham contributed 161 and Jeet Raval scored 132 while Henry Nicholls 53 for the host side. For Bangladesh, Soumya Sarkar took two for 68 and Mehedy Hasan captured two for 246.
Meanwhile, the right-handed batsman Williamson was unbeaten on 166 joining openers Tom Latham (161) and Jeet Raval (132) on three figures as the Black Caps extending their lead to 371 after adding 154 in the first session.
It is only the 13th time in the history of Test cricket and the second time by New Zealand that the first three batsmen have scored centuries in the same innings.
But for the Tigers, it is the third time they have been on the receiving end, most recently in 2017 against South Africa in Bloemfontein and before that against India in Dhaka in 2007.
For Williamson, it has been an innings of milestones as the Black Caps skipper became the first batsman to score 20 Test centuries for his country.
In the course of his 71st Test, he has also joined 6,000 runs club, becoming the fourth and fastest New Zealander to do so and with the best average of 52.79 after he resumed the third day on 93 and was content to take a back seat while Neil Wagner pushed the score along in a 60-run stand for the fourth wicket stand.
Wagner, who claimed five wickets in the first innings, finished with his Test-best 47 of which 42 runs came from boundaries six fours and three sixes. His blistering innings finally came to an end when he was caught behind to give Ebadat Hossain his first Test wicket.
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- Monsoon rains wreak flood havoc across South Asia
- I am not a racist, insists Trump
- Rifat`s wife Minni arrested
- Flood affects 42 villages in Sherpur
- We have to stand against militancy: Monirul
- Someshwari river erosion continues
- Kader’s health test completed, doctors satisfied
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Before the last ball, I thought of Mushfiqur: Stokes
- Vivo ‘Made in Bangladesh’ soon
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva