Kim, Moon commit to goal of complete denuclearization
Published: 04:00 PM, 27 April 2018
The leader of nuclear-armed North Korea Kim Jong Un and the South`s President Moon Jae-in said they were committed to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula after a historic summit Friday.
They said in a joint statement that South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realising, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean peninsula.
They also agreed that they would this year seek a permanent end to the Korean War, 65 years after the hostilities ended in an armistice, rather than a peace treaty.
The two Koreas will seek meetings with the United States and possibly China as both of the parties to the ceasefire "with a view to declaring an end to the War and establishing a permanent and solid peace regime", the statement said.
Moon would visit Pyongyang `in the fall`, the two leaders said, agreeing also to hold `regular meetings and direct telephone conversations`.
There would also be a reunion of families left divided when the Korean War ended, one of the most emotive issues for the people of the two countries.
"South and North Korea agreed to proceed with reunion programs for the separated families on the occasion of the National Liberation Day of August 15 this year," they said in a statement, referring to Japan`s surrender at the end of World War II.
Around 57,000 families in the South still have members in the North.
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- ‘BD hosting 1.2 mn Rohingyas refugees from Myanmar’
- Passengers suffer at Jamalpur station to collect tickets
- Bangladesh sought Saudi diplomats help for Rohingyas back
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry