Kim, Moon commit to goal of complete denuclearization
Published: 04:00 PM, 27 April 2018
The leader of nuclear-armed North Korea Kim Jong Un and the South`s President Moon Jae-in said they were committed to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula after a historic summit Friday.
They said in a joint statement that South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realising, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean peninsula.
They also agreed that they would this year seek a permanent end to the Korean War, 65 years after the hostilities ended in an armistice, rather than a peace treaty.
The two Koreas will seek meetings with the United States and possibly China as both of the parties to the ceasefire "with a view to declaring an end to the War and establishing a permanent and solid peace regime", the statement said.
Moon would visit Pyongyang `in the fall`, the two leaders said, agreeing also to hold `regular meetings and direct telephone conversations`.
There would also be a reunion of families left divided when the Korean War ended, one of the most emotive issues for the people of the two countries.
"South and North Korea agreed to proceed with reunion programs for the separated families on the occasion of the National Liberation Day of August 15 this year," they said in a statement, referring to Japan`s surrender at the end of World War II.
Around 57,000 families in the South still have members in the North.
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus