Khoka gets 10yrs jail in graft case
Published: 11:54 AM, 28 November 2018 Updated: 12:49 PM, 28 November 2018
Sadek Hossain Khoka
A Dhaka court on Wednesday sentenced four people including former mayor of undivided Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) and BNP leader Sadek Hossain Khoka to 10 years imprisonment in a case filed by Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).
Dhaka divisional special Judge Mizanur Rahman Khan passed the order following a hearing on the case.
The three others convicts are DCC Unique Complex Shop Owners' Association president Abdul Baten Nakib, its general secretary Mahmud Hasan Azad and car parking manager HM Tarek.
The court also fined Tk 20 lakh to Khoka while 10 lakh each to the other convicts.
Earlier on November 29, 2015, a court framed charges against the BNP leader and three others in the case for alleged corruption in leasing a multi-storey car parking in the capital’s Banani area.
On June 24, 2015, a lower court issued a warrant for the arrest of BNP leader Khoka as he did not appear before it during hearing on the day.
Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) deputy director Nur Hossain, also investigation officer of the case, submitted a charge-sheet against the four accused on November 11 in 2012.
On February 15, 2012, ACC assistant director M Mahbubul Alam filed the case with Shahbagh Police Station on the charge of misappropriating Tk 30.82 lakh from the car parking project.
According to the prosecution, Dhaka City Corporation invited a tender in 2003 to lease out Banani Unique Complex’s basement as car parking.
The DCC had been deprived of over Tk 30.82 lakh from February 2003 to February 2011 as then-mayor Khoka in connivance with other accused stayed the tender process.
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’