Kherur Mosque: A sign of 526 years ancient architecture...

Dhaka, Sunday   25 October 2020

Kherur Mosque: A sign of 526 years ancient architecture

 Feature Desk daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 10:02 PM, 18 October 2020   Updated: 10:05 PM, 18 October 2020

Kherur Mosque

Kherur Mosque

A small village named Kherur is located about 47 km north away from Bahrampur town of Murshidabad Sadar. The village is as like as the other villages and it is not different from other villages of Bengal. But 526 years ancient mosque has made Kherur special than other villages. Probably it is the most ancient mosque in the Murshidabad district.

The mosque is located in the north-east corner of Kherur village in Sagordighi Police Station of Murshidabad district, India. It was built during the reign of Husain Shahi.

The village is addressed with different names such as Kherur, Kherul, or Kheraul. It is located about 14-15 km north-east away from the Morgram railway station of Murshidabad district. Fragments of black pottery have been found in this village.

Ancient bricks of the Gupta period have found in the village. The laborers found a beautiful statue of Vishnu stone in February 1978 while they were digging the foundation of a house in Kherur village. The statue assumed to be made in the Pala period.

If antiquities are searched by professional historians, many ancient histories may have found out of this village. Three high officials of Hossain Sha reign lived in this area.

According to the inscriptions of the Kherur Mosque, it was built by Muazzin Rifat Khan in 900 Hizri or 1495 AD during the reign of Hussain Shah. There had an Arabic inscription in this mosque where Muazzin Rifat Khan’s name was included.

Terracotta Mosque

Probably he is the commander in chief of Hossain Sha. This Kherur mosque is an example of pre-Mughal architecture. There is a similarity of this mosque with Gaur. It is mentionable that it is this Kherur mosque of Murshidabad where terracotta ornaments were found. 

The entire mosque is built with bricks and has no stone covering. It has a prayer hall with one dome and a verandah with three domes including four minarets with the four corners.

However, pieces of stone that were probably collected from any of the earlier structures used on porches and prayer halls in sandals, pillars, and posters. The round dome of the main prayer hall was collapsed in 1897’s earthquake.

But, the three domes of the front porch are largely intact. The north-west corner minaret was completely collapsed. However, the other three minarets are preserved in a slightly damaged condition.

The interior of the mosque can be entered from the east through three arches of a verandah facing the main prayer hall. The prayer hall is often 9 meters in the measure in both length and width.

Inside of the mosque

Examples of this can be seen in Chamkati Mosque in Gaur, Lotan Mosque and Rajbibi Mosque, Gopalganj Mosque in Dinajpur, Sura Mosque, and Rukn Khan Mosque, Masjidbari Mosque in Bagerhat, etc.

The Qibla wall is beautifully decorated with brick relief designs. There are three horizontal decorative brackets on the west outer wall. Similar terracotta carvings still exist inside the north and south walls and on the left side of the facade. Curved brick carvings can be seen around the other outer walls.

Archaeological excavations were carried out around the hill in 1992 and the northern bank of a nearby pond was excavated.

Besides, it is learned that a black stone statue of Vishnu from the Pala-Sen period was found in this village in 1978. This archaeological evidence clearly indicates that more or fewer people have been living in this area since ancient times.

DailyBangladesh/DR