Khaleda gets HC bail in Cumilla arson case
Published: 06:48 PM, 28 November 2018 Updated: 06:51 PM, 28 November 2018
The High Court on Wednesday granted bail to BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in a case filed under the Explosive Substances Act over the arson attack in Cumilla on January 25, 2015.
An HC bench of Justice AKM Asaduzzaman and Justice SM Mozibur Rahman passed the order after hearing a rule issued earlier in this regard.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali argued for the BNP chief while Attorney General Mahbubey Alamand Deputy Attorney General Dr Md Bashir Ullah represented the state.
On October 15, Khaleda's lawyer filed a bail petition with the High Court after the Special Judge Court-1 of Cumilla denied the former prime minister bail on September 13 in the case.
On October 24, the HC accepted Khaleda's appeal for hearing and issued a rule seeking explanation as to why she would not get bail.
On 25 January 2015, a covered van was set on fire at Haiderpool of Chouddagram municipality on the Dhaka-Chattogram highway.
The following day, sub-inspector Nuruzzaman of Chouddagram Police Station filed a case against the BNP chairperson and 31 other leaders and activists of the party over the incident.
- Cold wave hits North, sunshine in Dhaka
- Gabtoli in turmoil for throwing eggs
- Trump impeachment trial set to open in Senate
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- New China virus: pharmaceuticals fear amid risk of infection
- U-19 CWC: Japan faces India today
- Drug trader killed in Khilkhet gunfight
- 3 consecutive rocket attack near US Embassy
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU