Khaleda Zia gets bail in two defamation cases
Published: 01:04 PM, 18 June 2019 Updated: 01:09 PM, 18 June 2019
The High Court has granted six months interim bail to BNP chief Khaleda Zia in two cases — hurting religious sentiments and defamation.
The High Court bench of Justice Muhammad Abdul Hafiz and Justice Ahmed Sohel ordered the interim bail on Monday.
Senior lawyer AJ Mohammad Ali appearing for Khaleda Zia in the court. Deputy Attorney General Fazlur Rahman Khan was present for the state.
On October 14, 2014, Khaleda Zia said at an event in Engineer Institute of Bangladesh (IEB), “Bangladesh Awami League wears the face of secularism. Mainly, the party is irreligion believer. People of any religion are not safe from the Awami League. As Awami League came to power, they took possession of the property of Hindus. They attacked Hindus.”
On October 21 of that year, AB Siddiqui, President of the Jananetri Parishad — filed a case against Khaleda Zia — saying such statements hurt religious sentiments, as well as caste divisions between Hindus and Muslims.
On the other hand, AB Siddiqui filed another lawsuit against her on January 25, 2017, on charges of making indecent comments against Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Awami League.
According to the complaint of the case, Khaleda Zia made indecent comments against Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Awami League on December 31, 2016, at an anniversary program of Chhatra Dal in capital’s Engineer Institute.
Shahbagh Police Station submitted a final report of two cases against Khaleda Zia on June 30 last year. On March 20, The court issued an arrest warrant by taking cognizance of the report. Then her lawyers appealed to the High Court seeking bail.
- DU students block Shahabagh again
- 24 dead in arson attack at Japan studio
- GM Quader appointed JaPa chairman
- Rocky passed HSC by writing with wrist
- We want to grab 1st place in producing fish: PM
- Flood in Assam, death toll rises to 27
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra
- Third prime accused Rishan Farazi held
- Hearing on writ challenges rickshaw ban today
- Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- PM inaugurates ‘National Fisheries Week-2019’
- Water level of Jamuna rises, 50 villages flooded
- Elon Musk wants to merge human brains with AI
- New EvilGnome Backdoor Spies on Linux Users, Steals Their Files
- Message in a bottle written 50 yrs ago found in Australia
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Old Dhaka building collapse: Father-Son’s bodies recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- England face Australia in high-voltage semis today