Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot wins London Marathon 2018
Published: 06:00 PM, 22 April 2018
Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot won the 2018 London Marathon but Paula Radcliffe`s `mixed-gender` race world record remained intact.
Cheruiyot, 34, crossed the finish line in an unofficial personal best two hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds.
That was more than three minutes slower than the 2:15.25 four-time British Olympian Radcliffe ran in 2003.
Mary Keitany and Tirunesh Dibaba had been looking to break Radcliffe`s record but both faded.
Olympic 5,000m champion Cheruiyot ran her first marathon in London last year and finished fourth overall before winning in Frankfurt in the autumn.
Kenya`s Brigid Kosgei (2:20.13) finished second, with Ethiopia`s Tadelech Bekele (2:21.30) third.
Keitany had been on course to break Radcliffe`s record but eventually finished fifth (2:24: 27) having lost the lead she had held from the start with around five miles remaining.
Great Britain`s Lily Partridge (2:29:24) claimed a personal best to finish eighth, with team-mate Tracy Barlow (2:32.09) ninth.
Keitany had made her intentions clear before the race by running with male pacemakers in an attempt to overhaul Radcliffe`s record.
And everything looked in control through 10km before Keitany began to pull slightly clear of Dibaba at nine and a half miles, half a minute quicker than Radcliffe.
Keitany`s problems emerged with around 10 miles to go and she eventually fell 14 seconds behind the world record pace after 18 miles.
Dibaba`s struggles were even more severe - on a warm day in the capital - as she dropped down to a walking pace at 30km around Canary Wharf.
Cheruiyot moved up into second place and within sight of Keitany through 21 miles before claiming the race lead and pulling away from Keitany.
It marked a perfectly judged race plan for Cheruiyot who seemingly grew stronger in the closing stages as her rivals faded, with Dibaba unable to finish.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today