Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot wins London Marathon 2018
Published: 06:00 PM, 22 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot won the 2018 London Marathon but Paula Radcliffe`s `mixed-gender` race world record remained intact.
Cheruiyot, 34, crossed the finish line in an unofficial personal best two hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds.
That was more than three minutes slower than the 2:15.25 four-time British Olympian Radcliffe ran in 2003.
Mary Keitany and Tirunesh Dibaba had been looking to break Radcliffe`s record but both faded.
Olympic 5,000m champion Cheruiyot ran her first marathon in London last year and finished fourth overall before winning in Frankfurt in the autumn.
Kenya`s Brigid Kosgei (2:20.13) finished second, with Ethiopia`s Tadelech Bekele (2:21.30) third.
Keitany had been on course to break Radcliffe`s record but eventually finished fifth (2:24: 27) having lost the lead she had held from the start with around five miles remaining.
Great Britain`s Lily Partridge (2:29:24) claimed a personal best to finish eighth, with team-mate Tracy Barlow (2:32.09) ninth.
Keitany had made her intentions clear before the race by running with male pacemakers in an attempt to overhaul Radcliffe`s record.
And everything looked in control through 10km before Keitany began to pull slightly clear of Dibaba at nine and a half miles, half a minute quicker than Radcliffe.
Keitany`s problems emerged with around 10 miles to go and she eventually fell 14 seconds behind the world record pace after 18 miles.
Dibaba`s struggles were even more severe - on a warm day in the capital - as she dropped down to a walking pace at 30km around Canary Wharf.
Cheruiyot moved up into second place and within sight of Keitany through 21 miles before claiming the race lead and pulling away from Keitany.
It marked a perfectly judged race plan for Cheruiyot who seemingly grew stronger in the closing stages as her rivals faded, with Dibaba unable to finish.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia