Kamalpur free day today
Published: 10:57 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 01:13 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The valiant freedom fighters along with the allied forces after a bloody battle with Pakistani Army captured Kamalpur, a frontier area in Bakshiganj Upazila under Jamalpur district on December 4 in 1971.
Since then December 4 has been observed as Kamalpur Free Day in a befitting manner every year.
Kamalpur was under sector 11. Major (later Colonel) Abu Taher was the commander of the sector. Headquarter of sector 11 was situated Mohendraganj under the Meghalaya state of India only two kilometers away from Kamalpur camp.
The sector was divided into eight sub-sectors as Mohendraganj, Mankarchar, Purakasia, Dhalu, Bagmara, Shibbari, Rangra and Moheshkhali. Under the sector 22,000 freedom fighters including 3,000 regular disciplined forces were fighting during the liberation war.
Freedom fighters and Pakistan Army confronted 18 bloody battles from June 12 to November 28 in 1971 war at Kamalpur. In the battles, 194 freedom fighters embraced martyrdom including Captain Salah Uddin Momtaj. During the battles, 497 Pakistani troops were also killed. Besides, sector commander Major Abu Taher had lost his one leg in a battle on November 14 in 1971 at Dhanua Kamalpur.
Being strategically important the Pakistani army fortified the camp with heavy weapons and troops as the camp situated near Mohendraganj in India.
Before capturing the camp, the allied force made an attack on November 23. After a 10 days war the allied force overpowered Pakistani army on the day in 1971 and captured Dhanua Kamalpur, the important camp of Pakistani occupation.
On that day Ahasan Malik Khan, Garrison Commander, 31 Beluch Regiment along with 162 soldiers and huge ammunition surrendered to the Hardeb Shingh Clayer, Brigade Commander of the allied force.
Company Commander, freedom fighter Syed Sadruzzaman Helal who led battle 14 times against Pakistani Army at Kamalpur camp said before surrender Bashir Ahmed carried surrender letter to the Army camp at 9:00 am. When he did not come back another freedom fighter Anisul Haque Akanda took surrender letter to the Army camp, he added. At last, the Pakistani Army surrendered at afternoon.
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- Why lightning often strikes twice
- Nojibur terms SMEs as driving force of economy
- West Bengal-Uttar Pradesh will made Delhi’s `Throne`: Mamata
- Judicial probe into cops’ role in Nusrat murder
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Eid train tickets to be available at 6 spots: Minister
- AL’s joint meeting tomorrow
- `Nusrat killing could be avoided if action taken in prior cases`
- Severe monitoring over market in Ramadan: Tipu
- BAF holds Junior Command, Staff Course certificate ceremony
- PM donates Tk 35 lakh to actor Ahmad Sharif
- Advice to take Subir Nandi abroad
- Mannan calls for investment in solar energy
- Bangladesh, Brunei likely to sign 7 MoUs
- Destiny recovrerd Boishakhi TV’s ownership
- Sri Lanka announces WC squad, dump Chandimal
- 6.1-quake causes light damage in Taiwan capital, east coast
- Nusrat murder: Shamim put on 5-day remand
- Scientists discover 220 million-year-old dinosaur fossils
- Housewife burnt to death in Chattogram
- 3 doctors for 1.5 lakh people
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt now single, says judge
- NZ official hid camera in embassy toilet
- Suffering of cancer patients in Cumilla
- PM orders continued review of disaster preparedness steps
- Rajib’s death: report on May 22
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Bangladeshi man jailed in UK for murdering wife
- Youth killed in ambulance-covered van collision
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Messi rested for United as Barca draws 0-0 at Huesca
- `First` 3D print of heart with human tissue, vessels unveiled
- GD filed over Nusrat’s death
- PBI found sensational information over Nusrat killing
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Nusrat to be buried in family graveyard
- PBI searching 12 people involved in Nusrat murder
- Google takes on ‘Africa’s challenges’ in Ghana
- PM directs stern action against Nusrat’s killers
- Nusrat murder: 2 including Moksud arrested
- Three robbers lynched in Feni
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Tofail asks DUCSU leaders to work for all students
- Nation set to celebrate Pahela Baishakh tomorrow
- Julian Assange faces five years in jail
- 3 to die for killing RU prof Shafiul
- Nusrat murder: another accused held in Bhaluka
- 8 killed as bus falls into Joypurhat ditch
- Nusrat murder: ‘Shampa’ Poppy arrested
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- Autopsy of Nusrat completed, body handed over
- Jute mill workers go on 96-hour strike
- Messi coming to Dhaka
- Miscreants kill Bogura BNP leader
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Mild quake jolts Ctg, Bandarban
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Swecchasebok League leader found dead in Savar