Kamalpur free day today
Published: 10:57 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 01:13 PM, 4 December 2018
The valiant freedom fighters along with the allied forces after a bloody battle with Pakistani Army captured Kamalpur, a frontier area in Bakshiganj Upazila under Jamalpur district on December 4 in 1971.
Since then December 4 has been observed as Kamalpur Free Day in a befitting manner every year.
Kamalpur was under sector 11. Major (later Colonel) Abu Taher was the commander of the sector. Headquarter of sector 11 was situated Mohendraganj under the Meghalaya state of India only two kilometers away from Kamalpur camp.
The sector was divided into eight sub-sectors as Mohendraganj, Mankarchar, Purakasia, Dhalu, Bagmara, Shibbari, Rangra and Moheshkhali. Under the sector 22,000 freedom fighters including 3,000 regular disciplined forces were fighting during the liberation war.
Freedom fighters and Pakistan Army confronted 18 bloody battles from June 12 to November 28 in 1971 war at Kamalpur. In the battles, 194 freedom fighters embraced martyrdom including Captain Salah Uddin Momtaj. During the battles, 497 Pakistani troops were also killed. Besides, sector commander Major Abu Taher had lost his one leg in a battle on November 14 in 1971 at Dhanua Kamalpur.
Being strategically important the Pakistani army fortified the camp with heavy weapons and troops as the camp situated near Mohendraganj in India.
Before capturing the camp, the allied force made an attack on November 23. After a 10 days war the allied force overpowered Pakistani army on the day in 1971 and captured Dhanua Kamalpur, the important camp of Pakistani occupation.
On that day Ahasan Malik Khan, Garrison Commander, 31 Beluch Regiment along with 162 soldiers and huge ammunition surrendered to the Hardeb Shingh Clayer, Brigade Commander of the allied force.
Company Commander, freedom fighter Syed Sadruzzaman Helal who led battle 14 times against Pakistani Army at Kamalpur camp said before surrender Bashir Ahmed carried surrender letter to the Army camp at 9:00 am. When he did not come back another freedom fighter Anisul Haque Akanda took surrender letter to the Army camp, he added. At last, the Pakistani Army surrendered at afternoon.
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’