Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
Published: 09:54 PM, 10 December 2019
AHM Mustafa Kamal
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal today urged all concerned including the business community to engage themselves more in paying taxes including VAT and thus motivate others.
The finance minister said these while addressing a view-exchange and VAT Honour distribution event marking the National VAT Day and VAT Week 2019 held at the Bangabandhu International Conference Center (BICC) in the city this evening.
“Those who are eligible to pay tax and VAT will surely pay those. Please do such good work through paying tax and VAT and thus motivate others,” he said.
The minister said the government of Sheikh Hasina did not impose higher tax rate, rather kept it flexible.
Mentioning that the economy of the country is now much more strong, he said the tax-GDP ratio in the country could have been much higher than the present level of 10 percent had there been no tax exemptions in various sectors.
Reiterating that the taxpayers would not be subjected to harassment anymore by the revenue board, the Finance Minister assured the business community of taking stern action if any official is found guilty of harassing them.
Chaired by NBR Member (customs export, bond) Sultan Md Iqbal, NBR Members Khandaker Muhammad Aminur Rahman and Dr. Abdul Mannan Shikder spoke at the function as special guests.
NBR Member (VAT management and IT) M Jamal Hossain made the key-note presentation where he said that Electronic Fiscal Devices would be installed soon at the major shopping malls and other retail business entities at Dhaka and Chattogram which will later be spread across the country.
The country’s retail business entities in 24 categories would be brought under this automatic management system.
Zakia Sultana, Commissioner of Customs, Excise & VAT Commissionerate, Dhaka (North) gave the address of welcome. The theme of this year’s VAT Day is “VAT Dichhe Jonogon, Desher Hochhe Unnayan”.
NBR Member (VAT Policy) Dr. Abdul Mannan Sikder said that from now on any businessman would be able to submit VAT returns through online staying at their home.
He hoped that the distribution of the Electronic Fiscal Devices among the business entities would be completed by January next year while the concerned business establishments having annual turnover of over Taka 5 crore would have to maintain their accounts through computer software from first of January, 2020.
Later, the finance minister handed over crests to the country’s top national VAT-payers at the function in its bid to encourage compliance and raise awareness on the need to pay tax to finance national development.
Some 144 became eligible to be recognized as the highest VAT-payers in the fiscal year of 2017-18. Of them, nine were awarded for depositing the highest amount of the indirect tax nationally.
Thirty-four firms, comprising nine highest VAT-payers nationally and 25 from Dhaka division were recognized at the event. The rest are being awarded by field offices in other divisions.
This was the 14th year the NBR honored the highest VAT-paying firms.
Introduced in July 1991, the VAT has become the biggest contributor to the NBR’s revenue collection from FY1995-96 and has been maintaining the lead since then.
In order to create awareness and increase compliance with VAT payment, the NBR has been observing VAT Day since 2012. The revenue administration also organizes VAT Week.
- Woman set to marry plane, claims they’re dating for 6 yrs
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Atiqul unveils election manifesto
- Cold wave may abate in next 24 hours
- Mask-hand sanitizer sever crisis in China
- Chinese physicians in treatment-war amid coronavirus scary
- PM opens several uplift schemes
- 31 killed in Madagascar torrential rains
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- 30 killed in Brazil floods and landslides
- Tabu gets 3 cr bucks for 15 minutes!
- Husband’s name ‘Hospital’ in voter list; wife becomes senseless
- 2 killed as truck rams auto in M’singh
- Mango buds in advance spring
- Barca beaten by Valencia in early blow for Setien
- Death toll climbed to 31 in Turkey quake-aftershock
- Facebook notification stopped
- International Customs Day today
- Real Madrid, Juventus, Man City, Man United to play today
- Car loaded with drugs sold at police auction
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 56 in China
- 31 fishermen murder accused killed in gunfight
- Hearing on writ seeking stay city polls today
- Myanmar army kills 2 Rohingya pregnant women
- Humayun urges ThaiBev to jointly invest in Bangladesh
- Myanmar must abide by ICJ orders: Hasan
- Coronavirus can kill 65mn people!
- Valencia beat Setien`s Barcelona 2-0
- Atiqul to announce election manifesto tomorrow
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday