Juventus beats Valencia 1-0 to progress to round of 16
Published: 01:29 PM, 28 November 2018 Updated: 01:29 PM, 28 November 2018
Cristiano Ronaldo set up Mario Mandzukic for the winning goal as Juventus secured a spot in the Champions League knockout stage with a 1-0 win over Valencia on Tuesday.
Ronaldo got away from his marker with some quick footwork before rolling the ball across for Mario Mandzukic to tap into the net in the 59th minute.
The 33-year-old Ronaldo has been involved in 44 percent of Juve's goals this season, having scored 10 and assisted six others. And Mandzukic is clearly reaping the benefits. The Croatia international scored five goals in 32 league matches last season and already has six in 10 this campaign after developing an impressive understanding with Ronaldo.
"Mandzukic is scoring because maybe with Dybala he played in one way, where Dybala was benefiting from his movements, and now he's benefiting from the way Ronaldo plays," Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri said.
Valencia put in a spirited performance in Turin but it came to nothing as Marouane Fellaini scored in stoppage time to give Manchester United a 1-0 win over Young Boys and secure its position in the round of 16.
Fellaini touched the ball with his hand just before scoring and Valencia coach Marcelino said the implementation of the video review system in the Champions League can't come fast enough.
"They told me there was handball, but there's nothing we can do about it," Marcelino said. "But that's football. It's made up of details. What is strange is that we don't yet have VAR in such a big competition as this."
VAR is already in place in Italy and Spain and will be used in the Champions League from next season but its introduction could be brought forward to this campaign's knockout stages. UEFA's executive committee could make a fresh decision at a December 2-3 meeting in Dublin.
Juventus has a two-point advantage over United and will secure top spot in Group H with a win over Young Boys on December 12. If it draws, a United win would see the English team top the group thanks to having scored more away goals in the matches between the two teams.
Juventus only needed a point against Valencia to book its spot in the last 16 but the Bianconeri were keen to get back on track following a surprise home loss against Manchester United in the last round of group matches.
Ronaldo had scored his first Champions League goal for Juventus in that game and looked eager for more against Valencia, having been sent off against the Spanish team when the two sides met in September, in a match Juventus went on to win 2-0 despite its numerical disadvantage.
The Portugal star had two chances in the opening three minutes but sent one effort wide of the left post and the other straight at former Juventus goalkeeper Neto.
Ronaldo had another good chance midway through the first half following good interlinking play between Paulo Dybala and Alex Sandro but again fired wide.
Valencia was mainly camped out in its own half, defending in numbers, but had the best chance of the first half when Mouctar Diakhaby headed a corner toward goal only for Wojciech Szczesny to pull off a stunning save at point-blank range.
Juventus finally broke the deadlock in the 59th minute. Valencia defender Gabriel knew precisely what Ronaldo was about to do but was powerless to prevent him and let out a roar of frustration after the goal.
Valencia thought it had equalized immediately but Diakhaby used his hand to punch the ball into the back of the net and was instead shown a yellow card.
It was another record for Ronaldo in the Champions League as he became the first player ever to reach 100 wins in the competition.
Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit in September in Nevada claiming Ronaldo raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Police reopened an investigation into the allegation at her request. Ronaldo has denied any wrongdoing.
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage