Joy’s ton storm Tigers into U-19 world cup final
Published: 09:15 PM, 6 February 2020 Updated: 09:57 PM, 6 February 2020
Bangladesh U-19 team’s celebration; Photo: Collected
Mahmudul Hasan Joy’s century took Bangladesh U-19 into the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup final sealing a facile six-wicket win over New Zealand U-19 at Potchefstroom in South Africa on Thursday. The Tigers will face India in the final at JB Marks Oval, Potchefstroom on February 9.
On Thursday’s semi-final match, Mahmudul Hasan Joy and Shahadat Hossain paved the way for the effortless victory with seven wickets in hand.
In reply to New Zealand’s 211 runs, the Tigers lost both openers — Tanzid Hasan (3) in the 5th over and Parvez Hossain Emon (14) in the 8th over and fell in trouble.
However, Mahmudul Hasan and Towhid Hridoy took the helm scoring a 68-run partnership in the 3rd wicket. However, Hridoy back to pavilion in the over of Ashok at 22th over.
Later, Mahmudul Hasan Joy got his century and made an outstanding 101-runs partnership with Shahadat Hossain (40 not out). Joy scored 100 of 127 balls.
Then Shahadat and Shamim Hossian took the Tigers in the winning moment and reached the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup final where they will face India on February 9.
After winning the toss, New Zealand U-19 scored 211 by losing 8 wickets with the help of Beckham Wheeler-Greenallv’s 75 runs. Shoriful Islam took three wickets while Shamim Hossain and Hasan Murad took two wickets each.
New Zealand U-19: 211/8
Beckham Wheeler-Greenall 75, Nicholas Lidstone 44, Fergus Lellman 24; Shoriful Islam 45/3, Shamim Hossain 31/2, Hasan Murad 34/2.
Bangladesh U-19: 215/4
Mahmudul Hasan Joy 100, Shahadat Hossain 40*, Towhid Hridoy 40*; Clarke 37/1, Ashok 44/1.
Result: Bangladesh U-19 won by 6 wickets (with 35 balls remaining).
- 286 sailors of US warship detected coronavirus
- Two more infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Drug dealer detained with 78-kg marijuana
- President calls for prayer at home on night of Shab-e-Barat
- Food distributed among 800 families in Nandail
- Measures to do at hospital to refrain from COVID-19
- PM urges everyone to devote with teachings of Shab-e-Barat
- Barricades on roads in Kotalipara
- People rushing to banks for withdrawing money
- DNCC opens hotline for relief
- CMP monitors home quarantine through mobile app
- 5 rounds of rocket attacks at US base in Afghanistan
- BB reschedule transactions time
- Locals lock down Munshefpara
- Govt to provide all supports for protein production
- NY man contracting corona while buying toothpaste after 12 days of quarantine
- Teenager dies with cold, cough in Ctg
- Young doctors must come forward to tackle corona: DGHS
- Coronavirus claims over 89,000 lives; 1.5 million infected
- Housewife beaten to death in Bogura
- 12kg marijuana recovered in Satkhira
- Bangladesh`s home series against Australia postponed
- Bangladeshis stranded abroad to be brought back: A. Momen
- Sisimpur to be aired in 19 languages
- 25 reported negative in Chandpur, 12 awaiting
- BSD launches free ambulance service in Barishal
- 29 Barishal houses under lockdown
- 62 of 112 newly detected only in Dhaka: Flora
- Chandpur lockdown
- ‘2,000-bed isolation hospital being built at Bashundhara’
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- China to ban eating cats and dogs
- New IGP Benazir, Mamun as new RAB DG