Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
Published: 02:33 PM, 22 March 2019
M Anwarul Haque; File Photo
Former president of Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU) and former chief reporter, city editor, diplomatic and defense correspondent of The Daily Star M Anwarul Haque has passed away (Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji’un).
He died on Friday (March 22nd) at his home in the capital’s Dhanmondi around 5:00 am.
Anwarul Haque served as a press minister at the Delhi High Commission. He was the founding member of the organization of Diplomatic Correspondents Association, Bangladesh (DCAB).
Anwarul left behind wife, two sons, a daughter and a host of relatives, friends, colleagues, and well-wishers to mourn his death, according to DRU and DCAB.
His namaz-e-janaza will be held after Jumma prayers at Sobhanbag Mosque followed by a second janaza at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) at 3:00 pm.
He was the President of DRU in 2000 and 2001 and served as director of Public Affairs and Communications of Brac.
Prior to joining Brac in July 2007, Haq was the minister (Press) at the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi, India.
DCAB President Raheed Ejaz and General Secretary Nurul Islam Hasib, on behalf of the executive committee, expressed their deep shock at the death of the founding member.
In a condolence message, they prayed for the departed soul and expressed sympathy to the bereaved family members. They also recalled his contribution in establishing the DCAB.
A prolific journalist, he had interviewed many world leaders and heads of states including Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter of the USA, John Major of the UK, Dr Mahathir Mohammad of Malaysia, Manmohan Singh, IK Gujral, Deve Gowda and Pranab Mukherjee of India, Fidel Ramos and Corazon Aquino of the Philippines, Fuji Mori of Peru, Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan, Suleyman Demerial of Turkey, Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Yasser Arafat of Palestine and former UN secretary general Kofi Annan.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand