Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
Published: 02:33 PM, 22 March 2019
M Anwarul Haque; File Photo
Former president of Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU) and former chief reporter, city editor, diplomatic and defense correspondent of The Daily Star M Anwarul Haque has passed away (Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji’un).
He died on Friday (March 22nd) at his home in the capital’s Dhanmondi around 5:00 am.
Anwarul Haque served as a press minister at the Delhi High Commission. He was the founding member of the organization of Diplomatic Correspondents Association, Bangladesh (DCAB).
Anwarul left behind wife, two sons, a daughter and a host of relatives, friends, colleagues, and well-wishers to mourn his death, according to DRU and DCAB.
His namaz-e-janaza will be held after Jumma prayers at Sobhanbag Mosque followed by a second janaza at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) at 3:00 pm.
He was the President of DRU in 2000 and 2001 and served as director of Public Affairs and Communications of Brac.
Prior to joining Brac in July 2007, Haq was the minister (Press) at the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi, India.
DCAB President Raheed Ejaz and General Secretary Nurul Islam Hasib, on behalf of the executive committee, expressed their deep shock at the death of the founding member.
In a condolence message, they prayed for the departed soul and expressed sympathy to the bereaved family members. They also recalled his contribution in establishing the DCAB.
A prolific journalist, he had interviewed many world leaders and heads of states including Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter of the USA, John Major of the UK, Dr Mahathir Mohammad of Malaysia, Manmohan Singh, IK Gujral, Deve Gowda and Pranab Mukherjee of India, Fidel Ramos and Corazon Aquino of the Philippines, Fuji Mori of Peru, Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan, Suleyman Demerial of Turkey, Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Yasser Arafat of Palestine and former UN secretary general Kofi Annan.
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- `There is a chance to joint invest in Bangladesh`
- BNP’s anarchy will not be tolerated: Hasan
- Sachin picks Shakib in his World Cup XI
- Zimbabwe inflation rate soars to 175%
- Train crash kills 9 with new weds
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- HC recommends punishment against 50 including Masud
- Zuma denies being `king of corrupt people`
- Nusrat murder: HC orders probe against ADM Enamul
- Shakib included in CWC19 best XI
- Fired DIG Mizan questioning at prison gate
- Primary students dropout rate decreased
- Jaffer, Ramanayeke as Tigers batting, bowling coach in SL tour
- Will be apologising to Williamson `For the rest of my life`
- Eid-ul-Azha advanced train ticket from Jul 29
- Partial lunar eclipse Wednesday
- New wave of cybercrime in Pakistan
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Non-government employees, slum dwellers to get flat: PM
- Temperature may rise over country
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes
- South Korean PM Lee leaves Dhaka
- Shah Rukh Khan to produce horror series for Netflix
- Russia`s Real Reasons for Partnering with Iran
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Ershad’s 2nd namaz-e-janaza held
- Pickup van hits covered van in Gazipur, kills 3
- Over 1,000 Google Play Store apps hiding a nasty secret
- Queen salutes England after World Cup glory
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- MP Firoz Rashid’s daughter-in-law Merina shot
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Saima rape, murder: Prime accused confesses to crime
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- NBR to launch mobile app to increase taxpayers
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- China assures to work to resolve Rohingya crisis: PM
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- Ershad`s son Eric receives kidnap threat
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- CU gets its first woman proctor
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Kader Siddiqui quits Oikyafront
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped