Dhaka, Wednesday   24 April 2019

December 6, 1971:

Jessore, Meherpur, Jhenidah free day

 Jashore correspondent

 Published: 09:43 AM, 6 December 2018   Updated: 09:43 AM, 6 December 2018

Daily Bangladesh Desk

Daily Bangladesh Desk

On this day in 1971, valiant freedom fighters managed to liberate Jessore (now Jashore) and Meherpur districts from the occupation of Pakistan forces after a nine-month war.


To mark the day district administration, Muktijoddha Sangshad, political parties, and social organizations of the districts have taken various programs.

Freedom fighters started returning to their homes in the town from different battle points and streamed into Town hall terrace in the district headquarters, holding the flags and festoons at their hands.

District Administration, Muktijoddha Sangshad, political parties and different socio-cultural organizations of the districts have undertaken elaborate programs marking the day with their hearts swelled by the spirit of the Liberation War.

Under the liberation war sector, no 8, fighters coming from all strata of life fought heroically under their commander Major MA Manzur in the frontline and freed the district from the clutches of the Pakistan occupation army without any resistance on December 6.

Sensing their imminent defeat, the enemy forces retreated towards Khulna by vacating Jashore Cantonment the previous night under the cover of darkness. The valiant freedom fighters and allied forces entered the town early in the morning. But they found the town bereft of Pakistani soldiers, as the forces led by the captain of 9th Indian Division Major General Dalbir Singh got involved in face-to-face battles with the Pakistan forces that intimidated them into leaving.

Earlier, the national flag of Bangladesh was hoisted on top of the then-Jessore Collectorate building by a group of revolutionary students on March 3, 1971. Police opened fire on a militant procession on the day leaving one Charubala dead on the spot at Mike Patty in the town.

In Meherpur, forty-seven years ago, on December 6, Meherpur, the first capital of Bangladesh where the provisional government was formed, was liberated from the occupation of the Pakistan Army.

The freedom fighters under the leadership of the General MA Manzur liberated the area. The troops, including the valiant freedom fighters, maneuvered along the Meherpur borders in November 1971. The freedom fighters intensified their guerilla war strategy to demoralize the Pak occupation army.

The guerillas with the assistance of the allied forces started advancing towards Meherpur on December 5 and the occupation forces began retreating on the day in the face of terrible attack.

The defeated Pakistani soldiers damaged the Amjhupi bridge on the River Kazla, Dinadatta bridge on the Chewtia River; located on the outskirts of the historical village Amjhupi towards Chuadanga, the neighboring district.

Talking to The Independent Bashir Ahmed, district commander, Freedom Fighters Command Council of  Meherpur unit said in order to observe Meherpur free day, freedom fighters of Meherpur chalked out different programs, including a grand rally and discussion meeting.