Bangladesh takes full control of Bangabandhu-1 satellite
Published: 09:04 PM, 9 November 2018 Updated: 09:04 PM, 9 November 2018
Thales Alenia Space which developed Bangladesh's first geostationary communications satellite, Bangabandhu-1, on Friday handed over its transmission and operation management to Bangladesh.
A delegation of the Franco-Italian aerospace company handed over relevant documents to acting Chairman of Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) Md Jahurul Haque at a function at the Bangladesh Communication Satellite Company Limited (BCSCL) office at Banglamotor in the city in the evening.
Later, the acting BTRC transferred the documents to BCSCL Chairman Dr Shahjahan Mahmood at the programme.
Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology Minister Mustafa Jabbar and French Ambassador to Bangladesh Marie-Annick BOURDIN were present at the handover ceremony.
Thales Alenia Space designed and built the satellite launched into the orbit on May 11 last.
Bangladesh will now start the commercial activities of the satellite, Bangabandhu-1.
Earlier, the BCSCL appointed Thai firm Thaicom Public Limited Company as the consultant for commercially launching the activities the satellite abroad.
Bangladesh entered the elite Space Club of 57 nations with the launch of its first geostationary communications satellite into the orbit by US space transport company SpaceX on May 12.
The satellite was launched using the latest version of SpaceX's upgraded Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket, from the historic Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral.
Two ground stations -- one in Betbunia of Rangamati and the other at Joydevpur of Gazipur -- have been set up to control the satellite.
- Japanese SEZ on 1,000 acres of land in Narayanganj
- Price fall in large-cap drives stocks down
- No exams upto class-III from this year
- Teachers-employees call off movement
- Shakib starts IPL campaign with defeat
- Jupiter`s unknown journey revealed
- 82,500 students get primary scholarships
- Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest
- Shakib rings historic bell at Eden Gardens
- UN asked to declare March 25 carnage as genocide
- Voting ends, counting underway
- Only Bamboo Bridge for 16 villages
- Hasnain debuts as Pakistan bat in 2nd ODI against Australia
- Dog `fakes own death` in dramatic reaction
- BNP neither in court, nor in field: Tofail Ahmed
- Postman died for 21 min, then came back to life
- Mass Killing Day tomorrow
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- NZ to hold national remembrance next Friday
- Court set Apr 29 for reports submission over DU violence cases
- Hasan Mahmud consoles death of Shahnaj Rahmatullah
- Two killed in trucks collision in Dinajpur
- Ass presiding officer detained in Daulatpur
- UN Undersecretary General meets PM
- Voting underway in Thailand`s election
- World Tuberculosis Day today
- Bus driver detained over SAU student murder
- Students block Dhaka-Mymensingh-Tangail highway at Gazipur
- Bollywood’s 64th Filmfare Awards 2019
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Nation celebrates Bangabandhu’s 100th birthday
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway