Sujon to be head coach for Lanka series
Jaffer, Ramanayeke as Tigers batting, bowling coach in SL tour
Published: 05:25 PM, 15 July 2019 Updated: 05:26 PM, 15 July 2019
Wasim Jaffer (Left) and Champaka Ramanayake (Right)
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) gave Wasim Jaffer and Champaka Ramanayake a charge to look after the national team’s batting and bowling departments in their tour in Sri Lanka later this month in the wake of the unavailability of the coaches in these posts at the moment.
Bangladesh’s current batting consultant Neil McKenzie, who just looks after the Tigers ODI batting, is not available for the series against Sri Lanka due to his personal affair while the BCB deiced not to renew the contract of fast bowling coach Courtney Walsh, leaving the two important posts vacant.
Jaffer was appointed for the batting consultant of High Performance (HP) team for just a week ago while Ramanayake has been working with HP for quite some time now. Both of the HP coaches were seen working with the national players after they returned to country from the disappointing World Cup outing.
Jaffer who was key in helping Soumya Sarkar regain the killer form just before the World Cup following a prolonged poor form in white-ball cricket now has been working with Tamim Iqbal.
The opener, most successful batsman of the country who piled up a mountain of runs in between 2015 to 2019 suddenly lost the form in the World Cup and returned with just 235 runs.
Jaffer, the former Indian opener who made an avalanche of runs in first-class cricket, was seen spending an extensive net session with Tamim for the last several days.
Their association with the players raised a possibility that they could be involved with the national team during the Sri Lanka tour where Bangladesh will play a three-match ODI series on July 26, 28 and 31 at Colombo’s Premadasa Stadium.
However, cricket operations chairman Akram Khan endorsed the matter, saying that both of them have been given the additional responsibility to look after the players.
“They are not chosen as the replacement of McKenzie or Courtney Walsh,” Akram said here on Monday.
As per the contract with them, they are bound to take additional responsibilities.
“Champaka is also a very good bowling coach. We have that backup. For now, we will take him to this tour. And in batting coach, if Mckenzie is unable to give us time then we will take Wasim Jaffer as the batting coach,” he said.
“You all know there is a crisis about the head coach but we are trying to get one. We will take the service of Khaled Mahmud Sujon as our main coach but we are trying to get someone.”
Fielding coach Ryan Cook will join the side before the series while the former fitness trainer Mario Villavarayen will replace Thihan Chandramohan, whose contract was not also renewed.
“Mario will check the fitness of the players on July 18 when the camp for the series against Sri Lanka will start. Ryan Cook will also join before the series.”
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves