JU standoff continues
demo staged defying ban
Published: 10:18 PM, 7 November 2019
The protesting students and teachers of Jahangirnagar University on Thursday continued their demonstrations on the campus defying ban as they pushed for the VC’s removal.
The protesters, under the banner of ‘Jahangirnagar against Corruption’, brought out a procession from the old Registrar Building around 1:30 pm following a rally.
At the rally, the protesting teachers criticized the statement of Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury Nowfel saying, “We aren’t from intelligence agencies. How would we prove the allegations?”
The government is responsible to look into the allegations, they added.
Prof Sayed Ferdous of Anthropology department said they will not have any say if the VC comes out clean in an investigation.
However, the protesters are set to organize a concert in front of VC’s residence in the evening.
On Wednesday night, the university authorities imposed a ban on the participation of non-resident students in any rally and procession on the campus.
Besides, their stay in any office or residential area of the university was prohibited.
On Tuesday, the university was closed for an indefinite period following a clash between protesting students and ‘VC-backed teachers and Chhatra League men’. But the demonstrating students vowed not to vacate their dormitories and staged demonstrations on Wednesday.
- Ethiopia to unveil referendum results on new state on Saturday
- Road accidents kill 2 in Ctg
- Probe body formed over Munshiganj road crash
- NU 1st year degree exams to begin Nov 24
- Parash to be the chairman of Jubo League!
- Helper killed in Cumilla bus-pickup collision
- MP Bubly expelled from Awami League
- Kohli, bowlers put India in command
- Ebadat removes Pujara, 3 down for India
- 18 held for giving proxy in NSI recruitment test
- ‘Unnecessary’ overseas tours of govt officers
- BNP`s movement issue no more exists: Quader
- DU to introduce online service on Dec 1
- Bus service resumes in Jashore
- ‘Violent conflict likely if Rohingya crisis not resolved’
- Concussed Liton, Nayeem replaced by Miraz, Taijul
- New onion in the market for Tk 60
- Let`s make healthy ‘Spinach-mushrooms’
- Syria war kills 29,000 children
- 21 yrs old become the youngest judge in India
- Munshiganj fatal road crash: Identity of 9 found
- Female UP member occupied farmer’s land
- Bangladesh’s first concussion replacement in test cricket
- Fatal road crash in Munshiganj leaves 10 dead
- Ishant takes a fifer, Bangladesh all out for 106
- Global participants showcase community health workers’ role
- Colombia anti-government protesters clash with police
- Historic Shat Gombuj Masjid increases revenue income
- 559 dengue patients hospitalized in country
- 70 gold bars seized at Ctg airport
- All News »
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Graduation at 9!
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- International Men’s Day today
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft
- 5 dead in Bolivia clashes challenging interim govt
- Delightful 2nd day of Dhaka Int’l Folk fest today
- 2.5-km to be visible
- PM joins gleaming Dubai air show
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft this evening
- Nusrat Jahan at ICU