Italian envoy made farewell call on PM
Italy lauds quick start of trial of Holey Artisan attack case
Published: 05:16 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 05:41 PM, 27 November 2018
Italian Ambassador to Bangladesh Mario Palma made a farewell call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday
Italian Ambassador to Bangladesh Mario Palma appreciated the professionalism of the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit of Bangladesh Police for the quick start of the trial in the Holey Artisan cafe attack case.
He came up with the appreciation when he made a farewell call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday at the latter’s office here.
PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
The 2016 militant attack on Holey Artisan cafe killed 22 people, including nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian national and two policemen.
Mario Palma, who leaves Bangladesh in January next, said it takes a long time to start the trial of such terror attacks in Italy, too.
On Monday, the trial into the 2016 militant attack on Gulshan’s Holey Artisan Bakery began with the indictment of eight suspects.
The Prime Minister said, “The government responded very quickly to combat the terrorists, bringing the situation under control within a few hours.”
Noting that he visited different heritage sites of Bangladesh particularly in Mongla, Bagerhat, and Khulna, the envoy said all the sites, including the Sundarbans, and the shrine of Khan Jahan Ali are very beautiful.
He said he also visited the Lalon Mela (Baul song festival) in Kushtia and translated Lalon songs into the Italian language.
The envoy appreciated the Bangladeshi people living in Italy for their services to the Italian society and economy saying they are now contributing to the agricultural sector.
The Prime Minister said her government is working with the main aim of improving the condition of the downtrodden people and the living condition of the people in rural areas.
Sheikh Hasina expressed satisfaction over the level of relation and cooperation prevailing between the two countries and emphasized the continuation of that.
PM's International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi and Principal Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office Md Nojibur Rahman were present.
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage