Italian envoy made farewell call on PM
Italy lauds quick start of trial of Holey Artisan attack case
Published: 05:16 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 05:41 PM, 27 November 2018
Italian Ambassador to Bangladesh Mario Palma made a farewell call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday
Italian Ambassador to Bangladesh Mario Palma appreciated the professionalism of the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit of Bangladesh Police for the quick start of the trial in the Holey Artisan cafe attack case.
He came up with the appreciation when he made a farewell call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday at the latter’s office here.
PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters after the meeting.
The 2016 militant attack on Holey Artisan cafe killed 22 people, including nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian national and two policemen.
Mario Palma, who leaves Bangladesh in January next, said it takes a long time to start the trial of such terror attacks in Italy, too.
On Monday, the trial into the 2016 militant attack on Gulshan’s Holey Artisan Bakery began with the indictment of eight suspects.
The Prime Minister said, “The government responded very quickly to combat the terrorists, bringing the situation under control within a few hours.”
Noting that he visited different heritage sites of Bangladesh particularly in Mongla, Bagerhat, and Khulna, the envoy said all the sites, including the Sundarbans, and the shrine of Khan Jahan Ali are very beautiful.
He said he also visited the Lalon Mela (Baul song festival) in Kushtia and translated Lalon songs into the Italian language.
The envoy appreciated the Bangladeshi people living in Italy for their services to the Italian society and economy saying they are now contributing to the agricultural sector.
The Prime Minister said her government is working with the main aim of improving the condition of the downtrodden people and the living condition of the people in rural areas.
Sheikh Hasina expressed satisfaction over the level of relation and cooperation prevailing between the two countries and emphasized the continuation of that.
PM's International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi and Principal Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office Md Nojibur Rahman were present.
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- Pulse cultivation gaining popularity among Manikganj farmers
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’