Italian envoy happy as Gulshan attack’s trial begins
Published: 04:07 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 04:07 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Outgoing Italian Ambassador Mario Palma on Tuesday termed the sensational Holey Artisan cafe attack a 'sad moment' of his tenure in Bangladesh and expressed satisfaction as its trial has begun to ensure justice for the victims.
He highly appreciated Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's "sympathetic but strong" leadership role in taking the terrorists into task, including combating of scourge of terrorism in Bangladesh.
The Italian Ambassador made the remarks during his farewell meetings with Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali and State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam at the Ministry.
Ambassador Palma presented his credentials to the President on January 14, 2015 and is expected to leave Dhaka, on completion of his tour of duty, in early January 2019, according to the Foreign Ministry.
The formal trial in the sensational Holey Artisan cafe attack case began on Monday with the deposition of a prosecution witness before a tribunal.
Both ministers deeply appreciated Ambassador Palm's compassionate and constructive approach to tackle the situation in the aftermath of July 1, 2016, terrorist attack, at one restaurant in the capital, when nine Italian citizens were killed.
They also discussed the ever-growing trade and investment relations and hoped that both the countries would continue to accrue more benefits out of the strong understanding that exists between the two peoples, while referring to the second largest Bangladeshi expatriate community in Italy, in whole Europe, after the UK.
Ambassador Palma thanked the ministers for their continued support during his stay in Bangladesh.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor