Israeli health minister, wife contract COVID-19
Published: 09:43 AM, 2 April 2020
Israeli Health Minister Yaakov Litzman and his wife have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, his office said late Wednesday.
In a statement, the Health Ministry said the 71-year-old minister and his wife are feeling well, receiving medical care and will remain in isolation.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was informed of the development, the statement added.
Litzman, the most senior Israeli official to be diagnosed with the virus, will continue to carry out his duties from his home.
The death toll from the novel coronavirus has risen to 26 in Israel, according to the Health Ministry.
After first appearing in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December, the virus, officially known as COVID-19, has spread to at least 176 countries and regions.
The global death toll from the virus has hit 46,809 with 932,605 confirmed cases and 193,177 recoveries, according to U.S.-based Johns Hopkins University.
The coronavirus attacks the respiratory tract with the potential to cause pneumonia and death.
Despite its severity, most people experience mild symptoms and recover, but the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are particularly vulnerable to the virus.
- India, Pakistan face the worst locust attack in decades
- Coronavirus deaths toll surpass 368,000 globally
- Germany has passed test so far: Angela Merkel
- 5 more test COVID-19 positive in Muksudpur
- 12 houses disappeared in Sandha River’s erosion
- Air India Delhi-Moscow flight returns midway as pilot has COVID-19
- killed Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Policeman dies at CMCH
- Councilor who buried 61 bodies contracts COVID-19
- West Indies approve Test tour of England
- Mobile court to continue to enforce hygiene rules
- Full genome sequencing of coronavirus completed in Bangladesh
- Israel detains Imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque
- PM for engaging local public representatives to stem COVID-19
- UN issues commemorative stamps on Bangabandhu
- ‘All measures taken to ensure passengers safety at airport’
- Dhaka-bound passengers’ rush in Daulatdia
- COVID-19 cases rise to 855 in Cumilla
- Stations where trains will stop; how to journey
- BRAC officer killed in Khulna road crash
- CMP plasma bank can save thousands of lives
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- BPWA demands withdrawal of bus fare hike
- Crime and traffic management being streamlined
- 18 judges sworn in by video conference
- 12 instructions of ministry over health rules
- SC to continue virtual hearing till June 15
- ECB seeks law for coronavirus substitute
- ‘Seems like BNP leaders appointed as WHO’s advisors’
- IMF approves $732m zero-interest loan for Bangladesh
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- 20 die in 24 hrs, 1873 new infected
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Japanese wrestler Hana Kimura dies
- Offices resume from May 31
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Far-right protesters rally across Spain over coronavirus
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Statue in the name of Allah-Muhammad (PBUH)
- It was a horrible night: Rukmini
- 2 miraculous survivors in Pakisani plane crash
- Power bill deadline extended
- What to do if you miss the Eid prayer
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow