Iran says new budget bucks US oil embargo, uses Russian loan
Published: 09:46 PM, 8 December 2019 Updated: 09:47 PM, 8 December 2019
Iran’s president said on Sunday his country will depend less on oil revenue next year, in a new budget that is designed to resist crippling U.S. trade embargoes.
Iran is in the grips of an economic crisis. The U.S. re-imposed sanctions that block Iran from selling its crude oil abroad, following President Trump’s decision to withdraw from Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
“The budget sends a message to the world that despite the sanctions, we will manage the country,” President Hassan Rouhani told the opening session of Parliament.
The budget will counter "maximum pressure and sanctions” by the U.S., he said.
Rouhani added that the Iranian government will also benefit from a $5 billion loan from Russia that’s being finalized.
He said the U.S. and Israel will remain “hopeless” despite their goal of weakening Iran through sanctions.
The next Iranian fiscal year begins March 20, with the advent of the Persian New Year. The budget is set to be about $40 billion, some 20% higher than in 2019. The increase comes as the country is suffering from a 40% inflation rate.
Iran’s economic woes in part fueled the anger seen in nationwide protests last month that Iranian security forces violently put down, unrest that Amnesty International says killed over 200 people.
- Launch social revolution against drug abuse: President
- England earn series victory in South Africa
- UK for joint partnership with Bangladesh to combat climate issues
- Hong Kong rioters set fire on coronavirus affected house
- “Govt plans to set up public university in each district”
- BNP hatching conspiracy to foil polls: HT Imam
- One detained with weapons in Keraniganj
- Woman detained with weed in Brahmanbaria
- Iranian aircraft carrying 136 people slides onto highway (with video)
- Japanese drink swallow belly fat
- BCSIR Science Fair begins in Rajshahi
- Elias, best DC of Chattogram
- West Bengal Assembly passes resolution against CAA
- PM orders steps to return stranded Bangladeshis from China
- Carrying legitimate arms banned
- Badminton Federation isn`t refunding money to junior players
- Fire burns residence in Gazipur
- Hubei suspends passport application to curb coronavirus outbreak
- Magnitude 4.1 quake jolts in Sylhet-Sunamganj
- Sajjadul Hasan named chairman of Biman
- Bride commits suicide for disliking husband
- 11 organizations acquired ISO certificates
- DB detained drug dealer in Barhisal
- Beehives in UP building, funding for winter clothes
- DITF duration extended
- 65 platoons BGB to be deployed for city polls
- Get rid of dandruff forever!
- Awami League Secretariat meeting tomorrow
- Easy way to be fat
- Child killed in Meherpur road crash
- All News »
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Rohingya killing resumed defying ICJ order
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- ‘Jamalpur Express’ to be launched tomorrow
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!