Iran launches cyber-attacks: US Homeland Security
Published: 01:59 PM, 6 July 2019 Updated: 02:29 PM, 6 July 2019
The US Department of Homeland Security warned that Iran launched a series of ‘wiper’ cyber-attacks capable of taking down entire networks, reported Irish (Ireland) media Silicon Republic.
According to the report, the Homeland Security department has claimed that there has been a “rise in malicious cyber activity” directed at US industries by Iranian actors and proxies.
Christopher Krebs, director of the department’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), said in a statement issued on 22 June that it would continue to work with its intelligence community and cybersecurity partners to monitor Iranian cyber activity.
“Iranian regime actors and proxies are increasingly using destructive ‘wiper’ attacks, looking to do much more than just steal data and money.
“These efforts are often enabled through common tactics like spear phishing, password spraying and credential stuffing. What might start as an account compromise, where you think you might just lose data, can quickly become a situation where you’ve lost your whole network.”
The attackers are allegedly targeting IT infrastructures of US government agencies and their private sector contractors.
Previous reports have said that the US launched cyberattacks on Iran after a US drone was shot down. The drone had, Iranian officials claim, violated Iranian airspace as it had been spotted over the Strait of Hormuz.
Multiple computer systems were targeted, according to reports, including those believed to have been used by an Iranian intelligence group to plan attacks on US oil tankers.
Tensions between the two nations continue to escalate, with the most recent development coming on June 24 when US president Donald Trump announced new, “hard-hitting” sanctions on Iran.
“The supreme leader of Iran is one who ultimately is responsible for the hostile conduct of the regime,” Trump said in a declaration to press as he signed in fresh penalties designed to prevent some top Iranian officials from using the international banking system or any financial vehicles set up by European nations or other countries.
Previously, the US has sanctioned the nation by cutting off revenue from Iranian oil exports.
- UAE woman seeks divorce for loving her too much!
- 3 including mother-son killed in Faridpur road crash
- 8 kills as bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing
- Road fill with holes!
- Sylhet Sixers’ payment dispute with BCB solved
- 185 killed in 135 road crash during Eid holidays
- Modi to receive ‘Order of Zayed’
- Sri Lanka 244 all out in 1st innings
- Pori Moni spreads warmth in dawn’s avatar
- Magura police explained ban on shaggy style haircutting
- SAFF U-15 Championship: Bangladesh take on SL
- 4 Bangladeshis killed in Medina road crash
- Two RAB ASPs promoted as Addl SP
- Dengue claims minor child in M’singh
- Baby alive though trains passed over!
- Bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing, kills 6
- Mim offers night call over phone
- Why is part of the Amazon burning?
- Father kills son in Sherpur
- Youth stabbed dead resisting rape; Criminal lynched
- T-Aman paddy farming progressing fast in Gaibandha
- Kashmir: How living people in strict lockdown
- India’s ex-Finance Minister Arun Jaitley dies
- Rain likely at many places
- President, PM pay tributes to Muzaffar Ahmed
- Color responsible for your sleep deprivation?
- Tisha in relation; actress says ‘best friend’
- 2 Rohingyas, suspects in JL leader murder, killed in gunfight
- Walking beyond political obstacles, challenges
- President, PM mourns death of Prof Muzaffar Ahmed
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- PEC exam schedule published
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- A new milestone for Purnima
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!