Iran executes ‘crocodile’
Published: 04:21 PM, 26 January 2020
A notorious drug kingpin nicknamed the "Crocodile of the Persian Gulf" has been executed in Iran, state media report.
The "crocodile" was arrested in the middle of transferring more than 100 tonnes of drugs in international waters, officials said.
The 36-year-old and an accomplice were killed following a years-long intelligence operation.
Iran executes hundreds of prisoners each year. Amnesty International said that the country executed at least 253 people in 2018. That represents a drop of 50% from the 507 executed the year before, credited to changes in the country's strict anti-narcotics laws.
But drug dealing on an international scale can still carry the death penalty.
"The 'Crocodile' was operating under different guises and aliases" Hormozgan province chief prosecutor Ali Salehi told ISNA news agency.
"He led one of the biggest and most vicious drug-trafficking networks in Iran and the region," he said.
Other members of the gang received prisons sentences of up to five years, or heavy fines, he said. The gang laundered money and used the proceeds of the drug trade to purchase real estate - some of which has now been seized by the government.
As for the true identity of "the crocodile", authorities declined to name him, giving only the initials "AZ" for the ringleader, and "MH" for his executed accomplice.
- 8-yrs son on way demanding punishment of father’s killers
- Man arrested after London mosque stabbing
- CU also not to join combined admission test system
- Martin Braithwaite joins Barcelona
- US Embassy launches website in Bengali
- BSF officer commits suicide in Kashmir
- BD ranks 143 in improving quality of life in children
- Schoolgirl hangs for cellphone
- Train derailed in Australia kills 2
- Bangladeshi detained by BSF on Kurigram border
- Untold story of language fighter Momtaz Begum
- Fraud Nigerian detained in airport
- Tips to get rid of chickenpox scar
- 9 persons, one institution to get Independence Award
- DMP detained 57 in anti-narcotic drive
- Extinct wildcat recovered from Bhola
- S Korea confirms first coronavirus death
- Kohli needs 11 to surpass Ganguly
- Use of English still continues on billboards
- Convicted accused detained in Brahmanbaria
- 2 drug dealers detained in Capital
- Women’s T20 World Cup: Schedule of Tigresses
- 17 years of losing Golam Mustafa
- College teacher, child killed in Bogura road crash
- Language Movement and Manikganj
- SME Product Fair Magura from Feb 22
- Uphold dignity of mother language: PM
- Harry-Megan return to Britain
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Gunfight at banana orchard, drug dealer killed
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Soumya to get married this month
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM