Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
Published: 10:39 PM, 10 December 2019
The 7th edition of the Yonex Sunrise Bangladesh International Challenge 2019 Badminton Tournament began on Tuesday in the capital, dedicating to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
State Minister for Youth and Sports Md Zahid Ahsan Russel inaugurated the tournament this afternoon at the Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Indoor Stadium adjacent to the Bangabandhu National Stadium.
Bangladesh Badminton Federation (BBF) President and Information Secretary Abdul Malek chaired the inaugural function.
Addressing the function, Zahid Ahsan Russel said Bangladesh’s sports sector is moving forward under the leadership of sports-friendly Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Under her overall patronization, the country has achieved the highest number of awards in the history of South Asia (SA) Games held in Nepal (this year), he added.
“In the next year, we will celebrate the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. To make this special moment memorable, we dedicated the international tournament to Father of the Nation,” the state minister said.
In his presidential speech, Abdul Malek recalled the freedom fighters in the month of victory and said, “We have been able to organize this edition (badminton tournament) due to the contribution of the Liberation War”.
Bangladesh cannot be liberated if Bangabandhu had not declared the independence in 1971, he said, adding, “We are moving ahead following the footsteps of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu”.
Terming the 7th edition of the international badminton tournament as the largest one in the country’s history, BBF president said a total of 168 competitors, including 112 men and 56 women, from 19 countries are taking part in the tournament.
BBF Vice-President and Tournament Committee Secretary Jahurul Islam Swapan and General Secretary Amir Hossain Bahar, Beximco’s Akash DTH Chief
Executive Officer Faisal Haider addressed the function, among others.
The participating countries are Australia, Canada, China, Egypt, India, Japan, Maldives, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, America, Uzbekistan,
Indonesia, Mauritius, Ireland, Vietnam, Iran, Wales and host country Bangladesh
- 7 out of 8 employees absent in Upazila health office
- Coronavirus spread in 12 countries
- Assam trembled in multiple blast
- Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant inaugurated
- Woman set to marry plane, claims they’re dating for 6 yrs
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Atiqul unveils election manifesto
- Cold wave may abate in next 24 hours
- Mask-hand sanitizer sever crisis in China
- Chinese physicians in treatment-war amid coronavirus scary
- PM opens several uplift schemes
- 31 killed in Madagascar torrential rains
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- 30 killed in Brazil floods and landslides
- Tabu gets 3 cr bucks for 15 minutes!
- Husband’s name ‘Hospital’ in voter list; wife becomes senseless
- 2 killed as truck rams auto in M’singh
- Mango buds in advance spring
- Barca beaten by Valencia in early blow for Setien
- Death toll climbed to 31 in Turkey quake-aftershock
- Facebook notification stopped
- International Customs Day today
- Real Madrid, Juventus, Man City, Man United to play today
- Car loaded with drugs sold at police auction
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 56 in China
- 31 fishermen murder accused killed in gunfight
- Hearing on writ seeking stay city polls today
- Myanmar army kills 2 Rohingya pregnant women
- Humayun urges ThaiBev to jointly invest in Bangladesh
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse