Iniesta to leave Barcelona at end of season
Published: 06:47 PM, 27 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta will leave the Spanish club at the end of the season.
The midfielder, 33, has made 669 appearances in 16 seasons, winning 31 trophies with Barca and three major tournaments for Spain.
Iniesta, who has been linked to a move to the Chinese Super League, has not said where he will play next season.
"I said I would never play against Barca so it is not going to be in Europe," he said.
"We will know at the end of the season - there are still things to talk about."
Iniesta has won the 2010 World Cup, Euro 2008 and Euro 2012 as well as four Champions Leagues and eight La Liga titles - soon set to be nine - with Barcelona.
"It is a difficult day for me to be here saying goodbye when I`ve spent my whole life here," he said in an emotional news conference watched by his family, team-mates and manager Ernesto Valverde.
Fighting back tears, he added: "A great deal of who I am, is down to Barca and La Masia - I am very thankful to them.
"I spoke to a lot of people - players, coaches - and I know what they want, but I tried to be honest with myself and the club."
Iniesta has been an integral part of the Barca team this season, scoring in the 5-0 Copa del Rey final win over Sevilla.
They have five games left this season and will wrap up the title if they avoid defeat by Deportivo la Coruna on Sunday.
He has spent his entire career with Barcelona and has made the second most appearances in the club`s history - behind Xavi, his midfield partner of over a decade before his 2015 move to Al Sadd in Qatar.
Iniesta was magnificent in Saturday`s cup final win over Sevilla, scoring an excellent goal and running the game before coming off to a standing ovation from both sets of fans.
"I want to be remembered as a great footballer and a great player," he said. "Because when our football days are over, that`s all we are - people."
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- ‘BD hosting 1.2 mn Rohingyas refugees from Myanmar’
- Passengers suffer at Jamalpur station to collect tickets
- Bangladesh sought Saudi diplomats help for Rohingyas back
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry