Indonesia earthquake death toll climbs to 42
Published: 12:23 PM, 15 January 2021 Updated: 09:49 PM, 15 January 2021
Many houses collapsed following a 6.2-magnitude earthquake at Sulawesi Island in Indonesia on Friday; Photo: Reuters
The death toll from the 6.2-magnitude earthquake at Sulawesi Island in Indonesia stood at 42. More than 700 people were injured and many are still trapped in collapsed buildings, the country’s disaster mitigation agency confirmed on Friday.
The epicenter of the quake was at a depth of 10 kilometers, six kilometers (3.73 miles) northeast of the city of Majene.
At least 15,000 people have been evacuated following the earthquake.
According to Al Jazeera, more than a dozen patients and staff are trapped beneath the rubble of a hospital in the North of Majane that was flattened by the quake.
All of the fatalities reported so far were from Mamuju.
“That number could grow but we hope it won’t… Many of the dead are buried under rubble,” Ali Rahman, head of Mamuju’s disaster mitigation agency told AFP. – reports Al Jazeera.
The tremor was felt strongly for about 7 seconds, however, no tsunami warning has been issued.
Thousands had fled their homes to seek safety when the quake hit just after 1:00 am on Friday morning, damaging at least 60 homes, CNN reported, citing the Indonesia disaster mitigation agency.
“Some buildings were badly damaged, including two hotels, the West Sulawesi governor office and a mall,” a journalist in Mamuju named Sudirman Samual told Reuters.
“At least one route into Mamuju cut off,” he added.
It is worth to be mentioned that a 5.9-magnitude earthquake hit on Thursday caused at least three landslides and the electricity supply had been cut. In 2018, a horrible 6.2-magnitude quake and subsequent tsunami hit the city of Palu, in Sulawesi, killing thousands of people.
Source: BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera.