Barapukuria graft case
Indictment hearing against Khaleda July 18
Published: 03:43 PM, 19 June 2019
The court has set July 18 to hold a hearing on charge framing in Barapukuria Coalmine graft case against BNP chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia and others.
The hearing was fixed on Wednesday (June 19) on the matter, but the jail authorities could not produce prime accused Khaleda Zia before the temporary court in front of Keraniganj Central Hospital as she is undergoing treatment at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.
Judge AHM Ruhul Imran of Dhaka Special Judge Court-2 then deferred the hearing till July 18.
On February 26, 2008, the ACC filed the graft case against Khaleda Zia and 15 others with Shahbagh Police Station in the capital.
According to the case, they were accused of causing a loss of Tk 159 crore to the state exchequer by awarding a contract for the operation of Barapukuria coalmine to a Chinese company through abuse of power.
Of the 16, six have already died and their names are expected to be dropped from the case while framing of the charges.
On February 25, 2019, the High Court ordered the lower court concerned to dispose of the case within six months.
A High Court division bench comprising Justice Md Nazrul Islam Talukder and Justice KM Hafizul Alam passed the order, binning a plea filed by one of the accused and BNP leader Barrister Aminul Haque to quash the charges.
- Taiwan records its first coronavirus death as global toll passes
- Students must lead to build drug-free society: Menon
- Qatar keen to recruit skilled manpower from Bangladesh
- Central Zone sniffs victory with Shanto’s double century
- Singapore expatriate wife leaves home over coronavirus panic
- Meeting between Managing Directors of DSE, CSE
- ‘Basic Concept of Islamic Banking’ workshop held
- Bandits kill 30 in northwest Nigeria attack: police
- Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
- Interest rates reduced in Post Office saving schemes
- College-boy killed in Lalmonirhat road accident
- Russian solder proposes using 16 tanks
- 2 doctors killed in Tangail road crash
- Perfect weight according to height
- 2 motorcyclist killed in Sunamganj road crash
- How much salt needed to lose weight?
- Bkash agent killed in Jashore road crash
- Sharif joins housing and public works ministry
- Arvind Kejriwal takes oath
- 50,000 people suffer for lack of bridge
- Legal procedures to follow for Khaleda`s parole: Anisul
- Two killed in Tangail road accident
- Yasir hits career-best knock as North Zone takes lead
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Accused in multiple cases in Sirajganj detained
- Husband with arms, wife having bullets detained
- Motorcyclist killed in Kushtia road crash
- Haven`t received Khaleda Zia`s parole appel: Kamal
- Six World Cup-winning U-19 players in BCB XI
- Bogura-1, Jashore-6 and CCC polls Mar 29
- All News »
- Massacre in Thailand: Killer army shot dead
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Bangladesh clinch maiden U-19 World Cup
- Soldier who killed 26 in Thailand shot dead
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- Bangladesh under pressure as Bishnoi strikes thrice
- Soumya to get married this month
- Young Tigers to face India
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Teacher jailed for providing cheat sheets
- Soumya with future wife
- Young Tigers need 178-run to win WC
- Bangladesh-India XIs in U-19 final
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Avishek hunts India first
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666