Barapukuria graft case
Indictment hearing against Khaleda July 18
Published: 03:43 PM, 19 June 2019
The court has set July 18 to hold a hearing on charge framing in Barapukuria Coalmine graft case against BNP chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia and others.
The hearing was fixed on Wednesday (June 19) on the matter, but the jail authorities could not produce prime accused Khaleda Zia before the temporary court in front of Keraniganj Central Hospital as she is undergoing treatment at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.
Judge AHM Ruhul Imran of Dhaka Special Judge Court-2 then deferred the hearing till July 18.
On February 26, 2008, the ACC filed the graft case against Khaleda Zia and 15 others with Shahbagh Police Station in the capital.
According to the case, they were accused of causing a loss of Tk 159 crore to the state exchequer by awarding a contract for the operation of Barapukuria coalmine to a Chinese company through abuse of power.
Of the 16, six have already died and their names are expected to be dropped from the case while framing of the charges.
On February 25, 2019, the High Court ordered the lower court concerned to dispose of the case within six months.
A High Court division bench comprising Justice Md Nazrul Islam Talukder and Justice KM Hafizul Alam passed the order, binning a plea filed by one of the accused and BNP leader Barrister Aminul Haque to quash the charges.
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- Father stabbed dead allegedly by son
- Taxicab, which falls into Turag, not traced even after 11 hrs
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Today’s sports on TV
- Lightning strikes kill 32 in Uttar Pradesh
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Minni on 5-day remand
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes