India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
Published: 01:29 PM, 22 January 2020 Updated: 01:58 PM, 22 January 2020
India’s Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday refused to stay the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) and gave the Centre four weeks to respond to petitions on the law — making clear that the court would not grant any stay without any hearing from the government.
At the same time, the court said the five-judge constitution bench will give an interim order on 140 petitions on the law.
In the meantime, the Supreme Court restrained all High Court orders for hearing the petitions based on CAA before it decided.
The bench of three judges headed by Chief Justice SA Bobde passed the orders on 143 petitions hearing, mostly challenging the validity of the CAA.
During this, the three judges bench said that the “petitions linked to Assam and Tripura will be taken up separately as the problem with CAA in these two states is different from the rest of the country”.
Attorney General KK Venugopal, who was present on behalf of the Centre, told the judges that the government had been given about 60 copies of those petitions. “We need time for response,” he requested.
Senior lawyer Kapil Sibal urged the court to order stay on CAA and postpone the National Population Register (NPR) for the time being.
According to critics, the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) will be used to target Muslims in the future. On January 9, India’s top court has refused to rule on a plea, saying the country is “going through tough times”.
- Bangladesh to field against India
- Bangladesh declare after Mushfiqur`s double ton
- 55 pc work of Elevated Expressway completed
- One to die, 11 get life term for murder in Kushtia
- Dhaka-Sylhet 6-lane work begins in July
- Probe report in BB reserve heist case on March 29
- 9 shops gutted in Chattogram fire
- 16 Turkish fighters killed in Libya
- Donald Trump arrives in India on 2-day visit
- Date of Shab-e-Meraj to be known today
- Mominul departs for 132, Tigers crossed 400
- Sri Lanka opt to bat
- Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Rain likely at many places
- 3 ACME employees killed in Naogaon road crash
- Bubly will not make any mistakes like Apu: Shakib
- Neymar gets red card in PSG comeback win
- 2 yrs of losing Sridevi, Janhvi remembering mother with best picture
- GP to pay Tk 1,000cr within three months
- Mominul ton, Mushfiq fifty take Tigers past 300
- Shooting at flea market in Texas
- Youth hacked dead in Noakhali
- China reports 150 more coronavirus deaths
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Tigresses faces India today
- PM for integrated development plans
- South Africa level T20 series over Australia
- Women’s Euro 2021 to kick off at Old Trafford
- Du Preez the hero as South Africa beat England
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Good news to honey farmers
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Israeli soldiers duped by Hamas
- Coronavirus: Elderly and sick are most at risk
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire