India’s 47th Chief Justice takes oath
Published: 07:03 PM, 18 November 2019 Updated: 07:07 PM, 18 November 2019
Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde was sworn in as the 47th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India on Monday.
Indian President Ram Nath Kovind administered oath to the newly appointed Chief Justice of India (CJI) in a brief ceremony at the Durbar Hall of the Rashtrapati Bhavan here this morning.
Chief Justice Bobde, 63, has succeeded Justice Ranjan Gogoi who went on retirement on November 17 after remaining in office for over 13 months, media reports said.
Chief Justice Bobde will have tenure of around 17 months and will goes on retirement on April 23, 2021.
He has been part of several key cases, including the five-judge constitution bench that passed the verdict that cleared the way for the construction of a Ram Temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya.
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several senior ministers were present at the oath-taking ceremony.
Former vice president Hamid Ansari, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and several former chief justice of Indian Supreme Court, among others, were present on the occasion, news agency PTI reported.
Born on April 24, 1956, Justice Bobde completed Bachelor of Arts and LLB degrees from Nagpur University.
He was enrolled as an advocate of the Bar Council of Maharashtra in 1978 and was elevated as a judge of the Supreme Court on April 12, 2013.
- ADB to provide US$ 540m for human resource development
- Bijoy Mela begins in Ctg
- Premier Div Chess: Saif SC, Police share top slot
- Both Challengers, Thunder upbeat to start BPL with victory
- Brazilian president hails launching of Sino-Brazilian satellite
- 18th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Turkey says ready to send troops to back Libya unity govt
- What should be said while entering house
- No room for anti-liberation forces in AL: Quader
- HC summons Sakhipur UNO, OC
- Int’l badminton tournament dedicating to Bangabandhu begins
- Two children drown in Kurigram
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ECNEC okays 7 projects
- BBPL will miss Shakib: Russell
- Kamal urges all to engage more in tax, VAT payment
- 1mn more jobs in ICT sector within 5 yrs: Palak
- Enjoy BPL in 10 countries apart from Bangladesh
- NASA chief gets latest look at new moon rocket
- Miraz braces for two challenges in BBPL
- RAB detained 5 brokers from hospital
- The old man died of heart attack during buy onions
- Qatar`s Emir Sheikh Tamim skips Gulf summit in Saudi Arabia
- Suu Kyi sat frozen in ICJ
- Prisoner militants need deradicalization: IGP
- Myanmar must stop Rohingyas genocide: Gambia
- Recruitment notices on Shah & Associates
- GDP growth reaches 8.15pc
- ICJ hearing: Rohingya vs Suu Kyi supporters UN-court showdown
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today