Indian rape victim dies after being set ablaze
Published: 12:05 PM, 7 December 2019
A rape victim set on fire by a gang of men, which included her alleged rapist, died on Friday night in a New Delhi hospital India after battling for life for almost 40 hours.
On Thursday, the 23-year-old was on her way to board a train in Unnao district of northern Uttar Pradesh state to attend a court hearing over her rape when she was doused with kerosene and set on fire.
Suffering from 95% burns, the victim had been kept on ventilator at the hospital and was extremely critical.
“She suffered cardiac arrest at 11:10 pm and we tried to resuscitate her, but she could not survive and at 11:40 pm she died,” said Dr Shalabh Kumar, HOD (Burns and plastic) at New Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital.
“She was having 95% per cent burns,” he said, adding the woman’s wind pipe was burnt and “toxic and hot fumes” had filled her lungs.
The attack, the second major case of violence against women in the past two weeks, has sparked public outrage in India.
The woman had filed a complaint with Unnao police in March alleging that she had been raped at gunpoint on December 12, 2018, police documents showed.
Having been subsequently jailed, the alleged rapist was released last week after securing bail, police officer S.K. Bhagat said in Lucknow.
Uttar Pradesh is India’s most populous state and has become notorious for its poor record regarding crimes against women, with more than 4,200 cases of rape reported there in 2017 - the highest in the country.
On Friday, Indian police shot dead four men who were suspected of raping and killing a 27-year-old veterinarian near Hyderabad city, drawing applause from across the country angry over violence against women.
But many were also concerned that police had overreached in shooting the alleged suspects without any trial. - Reuters, Economic Times
- Student killed in Mymensingh road crash
- Action will be taken over clash in election campaign
- Tigers upbeat to avoid humiliating whitewash
- Satkhira pride schoolgirl committed suicide
- Meeting over China-Bangladesh travel ban Tuesday
- China stuck in Medical equipment crisis!
- Bangladesh to host Zimbabwe in Feb for full series
- No barrier to voting in EVMs: HC
- Problems need to be solved by planning: Tajul
- Iran executes ‘crocodile’
- Immune discovery may treat all cancer
- Farmer’s smile in vegetables farming
- 7 out of 8 employees absent in Upazila health office
- Coronavirus spread in 12 countries
- Assam trembled in multiple blast
- Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant inaugurated
- Woman set to marry plane, claims they’re dating for 6 yrs
- Coronavirus infected identified in Israel
- China lies over coronavirus infected, it topped .9 million!
- Atiqul unveils election manifesto
- Cold wave may abate in next 24 hours
- Mask-hand sanitizer sever crisis in China
- Chinese physicians in treatment-war amid coronavirus scary
- PM opens several uplift schemes
- 31 killed in Madagascar torrential rains
- 2 Bangladeshis receive Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri awards in India
- 30 killed in Brazil floods and landslides
- Tabu gets 3 cr bucks for 15 minutes!
- Husband’s name ‘Hospital’ in voter list; wife becomes senseless
- 2 killed as truck rams auto in M’singh
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- ‘Dil Toh Happy Hai Ji’ actress Sejal Sharma commits suicide
- E-passport to be launched today
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- Comilla University’s 1st convocation Monday
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse