Indian magician drowns attempting Houdini trick
Published: 11:17 AM, 18 June 2019 Updated: 11:20 AM, 18 June 2019
An Indian magician who went missing in the river on Sunday while shackled in a bid to recreate Harry Houdini's world-famous trick has drowned.
Chanchal Lahiri, who was tied up with steel chains and rope, was meant to escape and swim to safety but did not emerge from the Hooghly river near the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata in West Bengal state.
Crowds who watched him take the plunge on Sunday alerted the police, who then launched a search operation.
His body, which washed up some 1km (0.6 miles) from the site of the incident, was identified late on Monday.
Lahiri, also known as Mandrake, was lowered into the river from a boat for his trick. He was shackled with six locks and a chain as spectators on two boats watched him.
Several people had also gathered by the shore and some stood on the landmark Howrah Bridge in Kolkata.
According to the Press Trust of India, the crowd started to panic after Lahiri did not appear after more than 10 minutes.
Jayanta Shaw, a photographer with a local newspaper, witnessed Lahiri attempting the trick. He told media that he spoke to him before the magician started his act.
"I asked him why he risked his life for magic," Shaw said. "He [Mr Lahiri] smiled and said, 'If I do it right, it's magic. If I make a mistake, it becomes tragic.'"
The magician told him that he wanted to do this trick in order "to revive interest in magic".
This is not the first time that Lahiri had attempted a risky underwater trick. He was lowered into the same river inside a glass box more than 20 years ago but had managed to escape to safety.
According to Press Trust of India, Lahiri had sought permission from the Kolkata Police and Kolkata Port Trust before performing his trick.
However, he did not mention that the trick would have a "connection with water", said police.
"He had mentioned the act was to happen in a boat or vessel... hence we allowed him permission. He vaguely mentioned an 'extra act' which we did not clarify," said a police officer who was not identified. "We are investigating."
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- Father stabbed dead allegedly by son
- Taxicab, which falls into Turag, not traced even after 11 hrs
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Today’s sports on TV
- Lightning strikes kill 32 in Uttar Pradesh
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Minni on 5-day remand
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes