India secure historic series victory
Published: 05:12 PM, 7 January 2019 Updated: 05:12 PM, 7 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
India settled for a 2-1 series victory after a persistent drizzle prevented a ball being bowled on the final day of the fourth and final Test in Sydney.
Virat Kohli's team, No.1 on the MRF Tyres ICC Test Team Rankings, thus retained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. It was India's first ever Test series win in Australia.
The visitors would have harbored intentions of taking the series 3-1 going into Monday, 7 January, the final day of the Sydney Test. They needed 10 Australian wickets to make that happen, but play was abandoned without a ball being bowled. The gloom and rain couldn't eclipse the sheen of India's monumental achievement, however.
After winning the first and third Tests in Adelaide and Melbourne, India had dominated proceedings in the final Test too after winning the toss and opting to bat first.
Riding on Cheteshwar Pujara's 193 and Rishabh Pant's 159*, India posted a mammoth 622/7 before declaring. A Kuldeep Yadav-inspired show had Australia bowled out for 300, as the left-arm wrist-spinner claimed five wickets in his very first effort on Australian soil.
Keen on pressing for another victory, skipper Virat Kohli had enforced the follow-on on the fourth day, but the players were taken off for bad light just four overs into Australia's second innings. Play never resumed thereafter.
The rain never got too heavy on the fifth day but right from the start a nagging drizzle played spoilsport, not letting the players get back out on the field on what could have been another exciting day's cricket. Yet, India will be very delighted by the magnitude of their achievement.
Pujara, the best batsman of the tour, was named Player of the Match, as well as Player of the Tournament for his three centuries.
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- Naogaon youth admits to raping girl after killing her mother
- 3 twin sisters of Mymensingh rescued
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry