India leads 15 runs in 1st-innings against Australia
Published: 12:10 PM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 12:10 PM, 8 December 2018
India had a first-innings lead of 15 runs after bowling out Australia for 235 in a rain-interrupted third morning of the first test on Saturday.
In reply to India’s first innings of 250, Australia was dismissed for 235 in 98.4 over. Only 10.4 overs were bowled in the first session and an early lunch was taken as rain returned at the Adelaide Oval.
Travis Head top-scored with 72 and equaled his highest test scores. He received invaluable support from Nathan Lyon, who counterattacked with an unbeaten 24 from 28 balls.
India’s four-pronged attack shared the wickets with paceman Jasprit Bumrah and spinner Ravichandran Ashwin picking up three wickets apiece.
After sweltering conditions during the opening two days, persistent drizzle delayed the third-morning session by 45 minutes.
Australia resumed at 191 for 7 with Head on 61 not out and Mitchell Starc unbeaten on 8. Twenty minutes into the session, under the lights, Starc recklessly drove a full Bumrah delivery and edged to be caught behind.
The play was then interrupted for an hour due to rain.
Bumrah bowled with accuracy outside the off-stump to be India’s main strike weapon. Head, the South Australia captain, looked assured and kept the runs ticking over by working the ball on the leg-side.
Lyon dominated the strike in his partnership with Head and frustrated India with several powerful cover drives to reduce the deficit.
Ashwin, who starred on day two, came on to bowl 30 minutes before lunch and was greeted by a cavalier sweep shot from Lyon to the boundary.
Lyon’s counterattacking continued with a six off a hook shot from Mohammed Shami’s first delivery. Two balls later, Head played away from his body to be caught behind and Josh Hazlewood fell the first ball, leaving Shami on a hat track when Australia bats in its second innings.
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- Pulse cultivation gaining popularity among Manikganj farmers
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’