India leads 15 runs in 1st-innings against Australia
Published: 12:10 PM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 12:10 PM, 8 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
India had a first-innings lead of 15 runs after bowling out Australia for 235 in a rain-interrupted third morning of the first test on Saturday.
In reply to India’s first innings of 250, Australia was dismissed for 235 in 98.4 over. Only 10.4 overs were bowled in the first session and an early lunch was taken as rain returned at the Adelaide Oval.
Travis Head top-scored with 72 and equaled his highest test scores. He received invaluable support from Nathan Lyon, who counterattacked with an unbeaten 24 from 28 balls.
India’s four-pronged attack shared the wickets with paceman Jasprit Bumrah and spinner Ravichandran Ashwin picking up three wickets apiece.
After sweltering conditions during the opening two days, persistent drizzle delayed the third-morning session by 45 minutes.
Australia resumed at 191 for 7 with Head on 61 not out and Mitchell Starc unbeaten on 8. Twenty minutes into the session, under the lights, Starc recklessly drove a full Bumrah delivery and edged to be caught behind.
The play was then interrupted for an hour due to rain.
Bumrah bowled with accuracy outside the off-stump to be India’s main strike weapon. Head, the South Australia captain, looked assured and kept the runs ticking over by working the ball on the leg-side.
Lyon dominated the strike in his partnership with Head and frustrated India with several powerful cover drives to reduce the deficit.
Ashwin, who starred on day two, came on to bowl 30 minutes before lunch and was greeted by a cavalier sweep shot from Lyon to the boundary.
Lyon’s counterattacking continued with a six off a hook shot from Mohammed Shami’s first delivery. Two balls later, Head played away from his body to be caught behind and Josh Hazlewood fell the first ball, leaving Shami on a hat track when Australia bats in its second innings.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor