India demands Pakistan release pilot
Published: 11:56 AM, 28 February 2019
India has demanded the release of a fighter pilot shot down by Pakistan warplanes in a major escalation between the two nuclear powers over Kashmir.
Video showing the pilot - blindfolded and with blood on his face - was shared by Pakistan's information ministry.
India described the images as a "vulgar display of an injured personnel".
Social media users in India have hailed the pilot as a hero. Others are urging both countries to show restraint, with the hashtag #SayNoToWar.
The recent aerial attacks across the Line of Control (LoC) dividing Indian and Pakistani territory in Kashmir are the first since a war in 1971.
The incident, in which Pakistan said it had shot down two military jets, has escalated tensions between the two nations, both of whom claim all of Kashmir, but control only parts of it.
It came a day after India struck what it said was a militant camp in Pakistan in retaliation for a suicide bombing that killed at least 40 Indian troops in Kashmir.
A Pakistan-based group said it carried out the attack - the deadliest to take place during a three-decade insurgency against Indian rule in Kashmir.
What happened to the pilot?
The Indian Air Force pilot, identified as Wing Commander Abhinandan, had been reported "missing in action" by Indian officials.
Images then circulated of his capture, which were both condemned for what appeared to be a physical attack at the hands of residents in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, and praised for the actions of the Pakistani soldiers who intervened to create a barrier.
Pakistan's information ministry published - but subsequently deleted - a video purporting to show the blindfolded pilot, who could be heard requesting water, after he had been captured.
In later footage, Wing Commander Abhinandan could be seen sipping tea from a cup without a blindfold and appeared to have been cleaned up.
He answered a number of questions including his name, military position and that he was from "down south", before refusing to share any details when asked about his mission: "I'm not supposed to tell you that."
Pakistan's military spokesman Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor said the pilot was being "treated as per norms of military ethics".
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat