India close in on third Test victory
Published: 04:46 PM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 04:46 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
India moved to within two wickets of victory in the third Test after Australia finished day four needing 141 more runs to win in Melbourne.
Australia were set 399 to win but following a top-order collapse, pace bowler Pat Cummins finished unbeaten on 61 to help the hosts reach 258-8.
Earlier, Cummins had taken a career-best 6-27 when India declared their second innings on 106-8 before lunch.
Victory for either side would earn them a 2-1 lead in the four-Test series.
India had begun the day on 54-5, a lead of 346, with Mayank Agarwal making his way to 42 but captain Virat Kohli declared immediately when wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant fell for 33.
Australia then lost both their openers inside 10 overs as Aaron Finch was caught by Kohli at second slip for three, and Marcus Harris was caught at short leg off Ravindra Jadeja for 13.
Left-arm spinner Jadeja later returned to dismiss the recalled Mitchell Marsh and keeper-captain Tim Paine to leave Australia relying on their lower order.
But Cummins kept the game alive, adding his highest Test innings to his best first-class bowling figures, resisting for 103 balls.
Though he lost Mitchell Starc for 18, Cummins and Nathan Lyon have added 43 for the ninth wicket in 14 overs to maintain hopes of an unlikely victory on day five.
The highest successful fourth-innings run chase at the MCG came in 1928 when England made 332-7.
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- Savar National Memorial prepared for 26 Mar
- Mymensingh City Corp polls May 5
- 1.35m HSC examinee this yr
- Ducsu VP, AGS’ support over job entry age extn movt
- Abahani beat Mohammedan to stay top
- Case filed over SAU`s Wasim murder
- Avijit murder case shifted to ATT for trial
- Griffith appointed Australia bowling coach
- Kamal for amplify value of harmony
- Dipu Moni calls month long ‘Coaching’ shut
- Biogas brings a better life to rural women
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies